Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: 52s in SB - Ugly

[ QUOTE ]
Anyways. Preflop is an easy call in 4/8. I don't think this is debateable. I think the flop is an easy call too. We have a pair and a bd baby fd giving us sufficient outs to peel - especially getting 11:1. The issue with the hand is that I got stupid passive when I made my hand. I'm rarely passive in this spot, and hated the hand - hence the "Ugly" in my initial post.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't mention the limit - as I said, you can call here PF if the SB is 1/2 the BB as it is in 4/8 or 8/16, but I'd fold at 3/6 or 6/12, 9/18 where the SB is 1/3rd the BB.

Think about this: Yea, okay you are only completing with these garbage cards, but you will also be out of position for the rest of the hand. Bad combination.

You got lucky that it turned into something this time, but mostly, just fold this crap.

You have 5.5 outs with bottom pair, no kicker and BDBFD. I used to play these hands alot when I first started - but it is still a garbage hand. Your outs are not clean - (far from it) and you are doing yourself a disservice if you count them as full outs.

Calling the flop, with 11-1 seems like a good deal, but only if you plan on check/folding the turn UI. with 5.5 outs (probably should be discounted to around 4 for math purposes) times 2 makes you 8% to improve on the turn (with 4 outs) to a max of 12% (with 6 outs, which is an overestimation - you HAVE to discount these outs as they are NOT clean).

Getting 11-1 on an 11.5 to 1 (if you are discounting your outs as you should) is still marginal - and only good if you can consider getting value from your implied odds - which playing passively you did not.

And your passive turn and river play gave up at least 2 and more probably 4 BB or more..

[ QUOTE ]

I took close to a month off from playing and thought I'd post some hands I played poorly during my first 2 sessions back to get some opinions and get my brain back in the game. There's no need to be condescending.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I thought I was being funny - but I was kinda drunk last night having come from a celebration that my biopsy was negative and I'm NOT going to die a slow horrid death from cancer after all...

Cheers

AB
Old 11-01-2007, 10:10 AM

I can see folding the flop here, but whatever.

Not raising the turn is a sin. Yes, "weak thinking" as you called it.

The river would have less people in it if you did and not betting the river with 2 pair also blows.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:30 AM

If the flop is rainbow it's a close peel but as is I think it's a pretty bad call on the flop. Checkraise the turn fo sho once you make it there but this flop is not one where your pure odds are really the main basis for the call/fold; your implieds aren't great and you're going to be subject to so many redraws multiway that your only real trustworthy outs are trips/bd draws.

Rob
Old 11-01-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You got lucky that it turned into something this time, but mostly, just fold this crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

AB, seems like you don't quite understand poker. Of course Scar got lucky, and most of the time this hand will flop nothing! That's the whole point of calling when getting 14:1, we only need to hit a whooping 7% of the time. Folding here isn't a terrible move, but Scar's mistake in this hand wasn't not folding preflop, it was not maximizing his profit now that his hand came through and no one else showed much strength.

Seeing as how he stated that this was his mistake in the OP, your tone is pretty out of line. A simple "Yup, you should have pushed your value" would suffice (plus it would keep you from making dumb comments that demonstrate a lack of skill)
Old 11-01-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the flop is rainbow it's a close peel but as is I think it's a pretty bad call on the flop. Checkraise the turn fo sho once you make it there but this flop is not one where your pure odds are really the main basis for the call/fold; your implieds aren't great and you're going to be subject to so many redraws multiway that your only real trustworthy outs are trips/bd draws.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

now this is some good advice. Thanks Rob.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AB, seems like you don't quite understand poker. Of course Scar got lucky, and most of the time this hand will flop nothing! That's the whole point of calling when getting 14:1, we only need to hit a whooping 7% of the time. Folding here isn't a terrible move, but Scar's mistake in this hand wasn't not folding preflop, it was not maximizing his profit now that his hand came through and no one else showed much strength.

Seeing as how he stated that this was his mistake in the OP, your tone is pretty out of line. A simple "Yup, you should have pushed your value" would suffice (plus it would keep you from making dumb comments that demonstrate a lack of skill)

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Thank you for saying this.