Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What cardrooms comes to mind when you think B&M
I have small local mini-cardrooms in my state 30 29.70%
My buddy vinnie or Guido's house 1 0.99%
Tropicana,Sands,Taj Mahal 11 10.89%
Wynn, Mirage, Bellagio 54 53.47%
Oldschool Binions 5 4.95%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2007, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Question 22

Well, he's "average tight aggressive", which means he would not be limping with QQ or JJ. At the same time, he would not be insta-calling all-in with TPTK or anything worse. Has to be QJ.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:33 PM

9 combinations of QJ. 3 of QQ. 3 of JJ. He most likely has QJ. Esp. since he is tight-aggressive, he would have raised PF with JJ or QQ.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:22 PM

Anytime I agree with Kip I know I'm on the right track
Old 07-13-2007, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Question 21

On Q21, the thing I don't get is the min re-raise on the turn. If it's a given that you (the hero) is perceived as loose-passive, the min raise to $400 is consistent with that (though not advisable obv). But the min re-raise to $800? Would the average player be that confident with something like A-K or A-Q, practically begging for a call? There isn't even a plausible straight draw that would explain the turn betting to fill the pot.

The river bet of $1,900 is just a little over the size of the pot. If there was a hand worth drawing to, this might signal an attempt to buy the pot back with a busted draw. But given the texture of the board, I can't see this opponent getting this involved unless he had hit something good either on the flop or the turn (A-J, set?). I voted fold.

(This analysis probably contradicts some stuff I said on another recent question where I said to call an all-in. After reconsideration, I was probably wrong on that earlier question.)
Old 07-13-2007, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
9 combinations of QJ. 3 of QQ. 3 of JJ. He most likely has QJ. Esp. since he is tight-aggressive, he would have raised PF with JJ or QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you've a very good read on these things so I just wanted to ask you a question on this one. I thought he had Q2 as he's in a late position, it doesn't state which but if everyone's limped is it not possible that he limped in with Q2 in either the button or one of the blinds? Also would he not raise with QJ in late position against a table of limpers?

I'm more keen to understand why he wouldn't have gone with either. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:16 AM

I doubt he would instantly call with Q2 and he might put his oppenent on QJ then. He probaly thinks his Hero has Q2 so his feels he dominates him.

Also, QJ is really a great hand to raise when there are limpers infront. If its folded to you in LP thn raising it to steal the blinds is fine, but not wih a couple of EP limpers.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought he had Q2 as he's in a late position, it doesn't state which but if everyone's limped is it not possible that he limped in with Q2 in either the button or one of the blinds? Also would he not raise with QJ in late position against a table of limpers?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think an "average tight aggressive" player would fold Q2, and would call with QJ. He could have Q2 in the big blind (perhaps the small), but the question doesn't indicate that he's in the blind. I don't think he would have played it quite so aggressively if he did, though (for fear of QJ).

Oh, and just wanted to say thank you to the people who are giving me compliments on my analysis of these questions. I'm no expert, for sure. I'm definitely still learning, and what I say might be completely wrong -- so take it with a grain of salt. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2007, 03:44 PM

RIP post.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:13 AM

Default Question 23

10/20 NL Hold'em. 9 handed. Approx $2,000 Stacks. 4 limpers.

You check in the BB with: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

You lead out for a pot $100 bet and get three callers.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

You lead for $200 into the $500 pot. First caller min raises to $400 and the other cold calls the $400. You call the min raise.

River: 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2007, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Question 23

I voted to fold.

The original limping probably meant lots of SCs and small PPs. Someone cold-calling the turn raise is representing at least a set, although I think a high flush is most likely, since a straight or a set should raise to get any un-made flushes out of there.

So with the arrival of the other 10, I think it highly likely that we're looking at a high flush, a full house, or both, and we have to get out of there.

Of course, in real life I'd never be able to lay down a flush, and I would have shoved the turn, probably to get stacked by a higher flush.