Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Re: CBS columnist bashes gambling, WSOP

[ QUOTE ]
Gambling, Poker, Drinking, Pot, Women, Cars, can ruin lives and so can many other things that most people enjoy reasonably. To say that you are a favorite to become a degenerate with any of those things is a flat out lie.
Next

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether or not you disagree with the author of the article, the vices you listed aren't similar in nature. You can blow through your paycheck in a gambling binge much faster than you can an alcoholic or other drug binge.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gambling, Poker, Drinking, Pot, Women, Cars, can ruin lives and so can many other things that most people enjoy reasonably. To say that you are a favorite to become a degenerate with any of those things is a flat out lie.
Next

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether or not you disagree with the author of the article, the vices you listed aren't similar in nature. You can blow through your paycheck in a gambling binge much faster than you can an alcoholic or other drug binge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would take a pretty massive paycheck to survive one of my old drug binges.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Next

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

(1) This makes no sense. Its merely your perception that gambling can "blow through your paycheck" faster than any of the other "vices"; its a statement that has no fact behind it. Some may call it anecdotal.
(2) I can conclude from this you have never been on a good drug binge. They can be pretty expensive.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Next

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

(1) This makes no sense. Its merely your perception that gambling can "blow through your paycheck" faster than any of the other "vices"; its a statement that has no fact behind it. Some may call it anecdotal.
(2) I can conclude from this you have never been on a good drug binge. They can be pretty expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I can't drink $2,000 worth of whiskey in a night or smoke $2,000 worth of $20 crack rocks in a night, but I can very easily blow that much gambling in a night.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:13 PM

It's true that drinking JD you can't blow through that much money, but how about some nice scotch. I mean, if you're playing the penny slots you won't go through much money either, but people don't do that. I've never smoked crack (although I know some people who have blown through 2k in a few hours) but I've gone through way more than 2k in a night more times than I'd like to admit.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:17 PM

Strippers + blow + friends = $20,000 in a night. Try doing that at 1-2 NL Holdem.

Yeah, I know my argument is a strawman, but so is yours.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:30 PM

Try this:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=0#Post11144429
Old 07-11-2007, 07:47 PM

"After Moneymaker, it began to grow exponentially. Last year, there were more than 8,000 entrants. This year, almost 12,000 were expected."

HA HA I love it when scumbag journalists come across a "fact" like, for example, "12,000 were expected, but only 6,500 turned up" and realising that it undermines their point entirely, ignore it completely.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:47 PM

Default Remedial math lessons are in order for this schlub

He writes that up to 3% of Americans are compulsive gamblers, yet he then says:

"You may be that one unlikely person impervious to its evil lure. But in most cases the addiction will eventually win."

Where did he get from 3% to 99% or 100% or 51% or whatever he means by that sentence ?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:53 PM

Default By the way, do not forget to download the poker game there

The CBSSportsline site in question sells a download of PokerSuperstars II.

.... and I am sure the Big Banner about winning big cash prizes in betting on Fantasy Football never lures in "compulsive" players.