Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 01:45 AM

Default Re: watching someone else overtip

If he went on a heater and really started taking serious money off the table, I might think about a table change (if possible/as profitable).

When I was very new to live play I used to over-tip, probably to the point of hurting my profits significantly. I didn't know stealing the blinds, for example, didn't necessarily warrant a $2 tip in a 5/10 PL game. Dunno if that's what's going on or if, as suggested, the guy is just generous and/or wealthy.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:25 AM

I've long thought it was somewhat inconsistent that players are allowed to take money off of the table to tip dealers, waitresses, or chip runners, but not to put in their pocket. I personally don't really care, because it's usually only 1 or 2 dollars, and I only play recreationally, however, when a tip becomes excessively large AND it comes from the players stack (vice his wallet) it affects the other players at the table. For the "it's his money, he can do whatever he wants with it" crowd, I think in order to be intellectually honest and still defend this position one must be willing to allow the player to rat-hole, give the money to his wife to go play craps, or any other "whatever he wants." If the player got out his wallet and handed the dealer a $100 bill every time he won a pot, it would be a different matter all together. It is the fact that it comes off of the table that makes it any of another player's concern. Having said all that, I don't say anything to players when they "over tip," but that's because I don't feel strongly about it. I just think it's an interesting idea to think about and discuss.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:04 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

OP,

Don't be a nit.

helpfully,
goofball
Old 08-07-2007, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Dealer, here's $2 for dealing me the winning hand. You have another $2 coming every time you do that again."

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. If someone interferes with my tips that way (which nobody has EVER done, because they understand the "deep pockets" theory), how about if, next time I push a pot s/he wins off of the over-tipper, I tell the over-tipper not to play weak hands like that when the loudmouth is raising? Is that acceptable to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

pfapfap - I hate to break it to you, in general this a poker PLAYERS forum, not a poker DEALERS forum.

Nobody cares about dealers here.

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the sometimes unbridled greed of some dealers that is a concern here.

No one has a problem with huge over tipping if the player knows what he is doing and is not over tipping due to ignorance.

It was similar in the Yang tipping thread. The dealer wanted him to tip in ignorance, with no one telling him just how much money had already been taken out of the prize pool for the benefit of dealers.

It is OK to educate someone. Once aware of what is standard, if they want to continue over tipping or Yang wants to tip a cool milkion, no one can rightly complain.

Dealers making money off of ignorance is somewhat unethical, and dealers coming here encouraging us to keep quiet about what amounts to a little money making scam on ignorant players is not right.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:52 AM

$2/$5 NL at Caesars last May, guy buys in for $500, the same as most at the table, a couple of big stacks of $2k+ also playing.

He proceeds to hit hand after hand, builds his stack to about $900.

3-way collision where he flops quads kings and gets paid buy some retards with 1 card flushes (A-high and Q-high respectively) when the boards ends up with 4 diamonds. Collects a pot of about $2500.

Pulls in the chips towards him, picks up a $100 bill and hands it to the dealer, dealer is all like WTF but doesn't need to be asked twice.

New dealer arrives a couple of hands later, this luckbox wins another $1500 pot, and throws the dealer a $5.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
people can do what they want with their money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-07-2007, 06:17 AM

I agree 100% people should do what they want with their money. What i dont get is in this thread people would have called the OP a nit for saying something. However in the Yang/Jesus thread anyone who called Jesus a nit for telling Yang what to tip was basically told off. I know its totally different circumstances but he did tell someone else what to do with his money and he was praised. Go figure. Lol
Old 08-07-2007, 07:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However in the Yang/Jesus thread anyone who called Jesus a nit for telling Yang what to tip was basically told off. I know its totally different circumstances but he did tell someone else what to do with his money and he was praised. Go figure. Lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus was invited by Yang (through his agent) to give him advice and he gave some advice. Yang was free to follow that advice or not.

The overtipper in this thread is also free to take someone's advice or reject it.

The issue in this thread is: Are we players allowed to give advice to other players on tipping issues or must we shut up.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However in the Yang/Jesus thread anyone who called Jesus a nit for telling Yang what to tip was basically told off. I know its totally different circumstances but he did tell someone else what to do with his money and he was praised. Go figure. Lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus was invited by Yang (through his agent) to give him advice and he gave some advice. Yang was free to follow that advice or not.

The overtipper in this thread is also free to take someone's advice or reject it.

The issue in this thread is: Are we players allowed to give advice to other players on tipping issues or must we shut up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im sorry I cant help myself .I just love to stir up the pot in these tipping threads. OP you should of just said Sir all of us in here tip 1 or 2 dollars and you should do the same. Kind of like Jesus said we all tipped the same so i recommemd you do nothing as well No need for anymore to the dealer. Lol.
I just love to rile everyone up. Its so funny how everyone on here worries so much about what dealers make or should make. Ill shut up now. Lol
Old 08-07-2007, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP you should of just said Sir all of us in here tip 1 or 2 dollars and you should do the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

The dealer is gonna hate you. If you don't care, whatever.
If you notice at a table next to you at a restaurant that they are tipping 50%, do you say something?