Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Khan Acted like a retard and I am glad he is gone

[ QUOTE ]
All,

I don't get why some people defend Khan's antics but rip on Humberto's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Level?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

[/ QUOTE ]

Because Humberto is "old" and "foreign"
Old 07-18-2007, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming you aren't leveling :

Brenes is doing it all as a media ploy. He is nowhere like his media persona when there aren't cameras around. Doing things specifically for the camera = douchey.

Khan is just a crazy hyper dude, not to mention he hasn't been playing live poker for 30(?) years.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

I don't get why some people def
Old 07-18-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming you aren't leveling :

Brenes is doing it all as a media ploy. He is nowhere like his media persona when there aren't cameras around. Doing things specifically for the camera = douchey.

Khan is just a crazy hyper dude, not to mention he hasn't been playing live poker for 30(?) years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thay3r

I'm sure there were plenty of other crazy hyper dudes at the WSOP. I imagine plenty of them chose not to act crazy and stupid after busting someone out in a hand.

I normally will give someone leeway if it is a crazy hand like runner runner straight or u hit some miracle card on the river to stay alive. But if it is A7 vs. AQ, 1010 vs AK or some other random hand where you go apeshit cuz u didn't get sucked out on, all the while the other dude is packing up his stuff and saying his goodbyes...your acting like a douche in my book.

fmp
Old 07-18-2007, 09:39 PM

Thayer,

"Brenes is doing it all as a media ploy. He is nowhere like his media persona when there aren't cameras around. Doing things specifically for the camera = douchey."

Did you read Temp and Brujita's posts?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Shane, sadly this attitude may hinder you from ever becoming a bonafide poker celebrity.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually fine, but I could name several dozen poker players who have made the leap to "bonafide poker celebrity" without ever getting out-of-line. In fact, I'd say relatively few players have made their name by acting like morons at the table and even fewer have done it without earning the unanimous enmity of the poker world.

I recognize the need for poker players to be "entertaining," especially if they are trying to brand themselves, but I'm pretty sure it's not essential to becoming famous that you act like a jerk or a goof. If Khan thinks that his best shot of gaining celebrity (which, btw, is pretty useless in-and-of-itself) is acting like a loudmouth clown, then he is just admitting he doesn't have anything substantive to offer the poker-viewing public but will happily milk the generic attention that behaving obnoxiously earns him.

As for the argument that "poker is a battle ground" blah blah blah. Total bullsh*t in my mind. Everyone recognizes this--that the game is ruthless and about taking something from your opponent, even if your opponent is your best friend--but real professionals realize that, because it's that way for ALL of us in the competition, it's much simpler and more pleasant to act cordially, regardless of the subtext of war.

Also, I can't believe Rekrul is defending this behavior when he rails constantly about how cocky and arrogant young poker players are.

[/ QUOTE ]

The people in my home game know who Sheikan and Matusow are. They know who Humberto Brenes is. They know who Phil Laak is. I think maybe one of them knows who Alex Jacob is.

I think in the past when the fields were smaller and the poker boom was still exploding, it was easier for a guys like Hansen, Negreneau, or even Mizrachi etc. to win a couple tourneys and get notoriety. Now you have to win the main event, win some unprecedented amount of other tourneys in a year, or do something else non-winning-related to get notoriety while the cameras are rolling.

It's sort of like that first group of super-super-models - Linda Evangelista, Cindy Crawford, Christy Turlington, Naomi Campbell, Stephanie Seymour, etc. I still remember their names because the whole concept of a batch of celebrity super models was new. But I don't remember any of the 2nd wave of celeb supermodels that came after.

I think poker stardom had gotten and will continue get a lot harder to come by. Most of the books have been written, and the majority of the pantheon of poker heroes has been set for a while to come.

Possibly knowing all this on some level, and Khan already being the kind of guy he is, I think he just said "why not go balls out and give it a shot". You can always apologize and make amends later. If you can leverage an opportunity to climb the celeb ladder, Pissing off a few tourney pros is the least of your worries.

I'm not saying I would or could act like that, but it just makes me wonder how many other climbs to fame started with stepping on a few heads.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:47 PM

thayer,

i played with him before the cameras and he was a bit excitable on day 1, but on day 2 evening as a big stack (he was at the table next to me with gus and sorel), he would wait for the cameras and then start dancing and screaming.

me jc tran and this irish dude who ft'd the me a few years back all shook our heads in disgust.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:51 PM

And by the way, I hope it's well-established by now that Phil Laak is "just like that." You can still think he's annoying, of course, but he certainly doesn't do it just for the cameras.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:16 PM

Khan put a chair on his head, but did he shove the chair in anyone else's face? And did he slowroll people with pocket Aces?