Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 12:25 PM

Default Re: US women\'s soccer takes 3rd. Scurry in Goal. Solo not in stadium.

[ QUOTE ]
Solo got benched because Scurry had a better win-loss record vs. Brazil.

Scurry allowed 4 goals. To be fair, one of them was an own goal.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, her job description still calls for her to stop own goals.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Solo has never faced Brazil. In addition to Scurry's track record against them, I think the U.S. mentioned something about her having the quick reflexes needed against tricky Brazilians.

I did not watch the game, but people I trust have told me that two of the goals she allowed were very soft, and that the own goal could easily have been avoided had Scurry properly called her teammate off.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

that's my take too.
At least a couple of those goals appeared to be VERY stoppable.

I had heard the same thing about the own-goal being avoidable also with a more vocal keeper.

And I had also heard that the team was really distracted by the whole goalie switch and pressure it put them under BEFORE the game.
Sportscenter was showing both goalies warming-up and talking about the controversial goalie-switch, etc etc.

Not nearly as many people were paying attention then but it was still being discussed and was out there.

Whether they would have been able to somehow beat Brazil or not nobody knows. But a ridiculous distraction created by their own coach was the last thing they needed. And this was only PART of why it was such a horrible decision.

Solo will be back on the team much sooner than 4 yrs. The coach will likely get fired but even if he isn't she is going to be coming back to the team right-away.
These things eventually tend to blow-over.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the coach screwed up, but he was really in a no-win situation. If he puts Solo in, they would have still lost, goal keeping isn't the only reason they gave up 4 goals. Let's say they lost 2-0 with Solo in goal. Then press and fans would have said, "ZOMG, whyd didn't that idiot play Scurry? She had a great record against Brazil and Solo had never faced them before, and Scurry was quicker, etc, etc!!!!!"

[/ QUOTE ]

No one with a brain would have said this. It's not like switching goalkeepers is a common practice. Solo hadn't allowed a goal in 300+ minutes; Scurry hadn't played in like 3 months.

-McGee
Old 10-01-2007, 12:38 PM

Solo is going to be back in goal right away.

Not only is she the best keeper they have, her presence will draw attention to the sport which is always a huge goal for USA soccer.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the coach screwed up, but he was really in a no-win situation. If he puts Solo in, they would have still lost, goal keeping isn't the only reason they gave up 4 goals. Let's say they lost 2-0 with Solo in goal. Then press and fans would have said, "ZOMG, whyd didn't that idiot play Scurry? She had a great record against Brazil and Solo had never faced them before, and Scurry was quicker, etc, etc!!!!!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would anyone say that? Goalies in soccer are a lot like goalies in hockey. If a goalie is hot and on form, you don't change them, and you take the results as they come to you.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:46 PM

Ryan's contract will not be renewed. (A nice way of saying he was fired for being a Moran)

Solo will be back with the team and will have learned to not tell the truth to the press anymore. Because in this day and age God forbid that anyone tell us how they really feel or call out their idiot coach for being an idiot.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but every US women's keeper is going to have a great record against every team b/c the US pretty much rocks everyone else's [censored]. That didn't get her the start against Nigeria or England though, and it shouldn't have gotten her the start against Brazil.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Solo is going to be back in goal right away.

Not only is she the best keeper they have, her presence will draw attention to the sport which is always a huge goal for USA soccer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah but what if it's an own goal?

I am kinda surprised this many dudes care about this event, I always thought it was a Girl Power thing. Anyway, I've always had this irrational thing for Julie Foudy even though she probably isn't that attractive. Plus I'm not sure if there's anyone other than Scurry left from the squad that won in '99. I thought I saw one or two familiar names.

Also, I saw Mia Hamm at a Cubs-D'Backs season opener once, she was in my section and rooting for her gaymo husband. Most of these soccer players seem to be centaurs because of the strong legs required, but she was wearing tight jeans and was H-O-T. She may have slimmed down a little after she retired. Hey Mia if you're reading this you can do better than that tool. Send me a PM for pics, stats, and roll.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No one with a brain would have said this. It's not like switching goalkeepers is a common practice. Solo hadn't allowed a goal in 300+ minutes; Scurry hadn't played in like 3 months.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

No-one with a brain would say this, but that still leaves a dozen columnists and about a million fans.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:15 PM

I don't really agree about that, but even if that were true, it's still not a lose-lose situation. If he leaves Hope in and they still lost and reporters/columnists keep asking "why not play Scurry there?!", he could answer, "because it'd be a dumb move. Hope's better. We got beat in midfield, not between the posts." And anyone who know anything about soccer would agree.

In this case, he has no defense. It was a completely retarded move.