Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 05:51 PM

Default Anyone ever bid on plane tickets? (priceline)

I have googled, but the info is mostly old and all over the place. Has anyone done this through Priceline? If so, how did it go?

I am going to Reno on the 13th--17th of next month and would like to get the cheapest tickets possible. Any other tips or tricks would be sweet.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Anyone ever bid on plane tickets? (priceline)

the main disadvantage to the bidding route is that you can't choose a specific itenerary or airline. if that is OK with you then you have a good chance of getting cheap tickets.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:32 PM

Go with kayak. They really are a good search engine. From there go to the actual airline and get the best rate possible.

fyc
Old 05-30-2007, 07:38 PM

i bid a reasonable amount, they said they didn't have anything, and then spammed me with somewhat related but not similiar offers over the next month
Old 05-30-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the main disadvantage to the bidding route is that you can't choose a specific itenerary or airline.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. If you don't mind getting on a flight at 6am, having a twelve hour layover somewhere, then finally getting to Reno at 10pm that night, then go for it. Priceline is good for hotels, not so good for flights.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:56 PM

I have used Priceline for this and got a significantly cheaper flight to Europe than through any of the other travel sites. I have also used Priceline for hotels and was happy with the results.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the main disadvantage to the bidding route is that you can't choose a specific itenerary or airline.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. If you don't mind getting on a flight at 6am, having a twelve hour layover somewhere, then finally getting to Reno at 10pm that night, then go for it. Priceline is good for hotels, not so good for flights.

[/ QUOTE ]

But does this seriously happen? I can see leaving at 6am, which I don't mind, but a 12 hour layover? I doubt it.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But does this seriously happen? I can see leaving at 6am, which I don't mind, but a 12 hour layover? I doubt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

They tell you all the rules when you go to place a bid. Is it possible? Sure, the rules say it is. Is it probable? Probably not. You're rolling the dice by doing it though as you purchase whatever they come up with. There's no backing out.

I'm not even a big fan of hotels on Priceline because you bid on zones and quality, and not particular hotels.

I did use Priceline recently for a rental though. I was allowed to stipulate that it had to be at the airport. I bid $14 a day for 3 days on a midsize, and before they processed my bid, they came back with a "good chance : $35, great chance : $38" and gave me the chance to change my bid. I said eff it and went with my $14 and it was accepted by Hertz. Those bastards are usually one of the more expensive when it comes to rentals too.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:37 PM

I actually like the hotel deal and have used it a lot.

I am just tryin to find some stories (success or horror) from people how have done it for flights. I can't find one person that has done it.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually like the hotel deal and have used it a lot.

I am just tryin to find some stories (success or horror) from people how have done it for flights. I can't find one person that has done it.

[/ QUOTE ]

go to biddingfortravel.com and there is an entire forum of people who have used it.