Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-04-2007, 12:56 AM

Default WTF Stud/8 HORSE Satellite

Payouts are $525, $250, $150. Calling the river leaves me with 2/3 BB less than 3rd place, folding the river leaves me w/ 1/3 BB greater than 3rd place.

Is this a standard steal on 3rd even though it's vs. the other big stack?

Wtf is going on on 4th???

Do I have to call the river in case he was doing this with 4 to a low, or is it just too likely I'm beat by something for me to call since I fall into 3rd place if I lose?

Tournament - 7 Card Stud High-Low (600/1,200), Ante 100, Bring-In 200 (converter)

Seat 1: 10,789
Seat 7: 3,223
Hero: 8,488

3rd Street - (0.50 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes___calls

4th Street - (4.50 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls

5th Street - (4.25 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (6.25 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River - (8.25 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds

Total pot: (8.25 BB - 9,900)

-ChipsAhoya
Old 11-04-2007, 01:01 AM

Default Re: WTF Stud/8 HORSE Satellite

I wanna fold third to the reraise, and he paired his ace so I wanna fold fourth too
Old 11-04-2007, 01:03 AM

I'd fold 3rd the first time. If i tried to steal and he raised, i'd fold there. Having made it to 4th I'd check fold. He either has a 4low with an ace or aces most of the time. If he has middle pairs, he'd take a free card and you can reevaluate on 5th. having made it to the river I think you're stuck calling and praying. This isn't the position you want to get yourself into.. which is why I'd fold 3rd .
Old 11-04-2007, 02:51 AM

There isn't any point at which I put chips into this pot. Ray's book lists 15 categories of hands, some of which I almost never play. AT4 doesn't fit any of them.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There isn't any point at which I put chips into this pot. Ray's book lists 15 categories of hands, some of which I almost never play. AT4 doesn't fit any of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what sort of hands should I be stealing with in this situation? I understand you steal less shorthanded since the pot is smaller, but I thought this would be good enough. Apparently I'm bad at stud/stud8 steals I'm finding out in HORSE tournaments...

-ChipsAhoya
Old 11-04-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is stupid. Ray's book is mainly geared towards full ring cash games. This is a 3 handed tournament situation. This is an easy raise, especially since the one dude has a 9 door. The only reason I might not raise is if the bring-in is super aggressive, but that is pretty rare in these things.

I don't see how you can fold to the rr on 3rd getting such good odds.

That said, I'd check fold 4th. Best case scenario is he has something like 747A, but even then you only have like 54% equity.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is stupid. Ray's book is mainly geared towards full ring cash games. This is a 3 handed tournament situation. This is an easy raise, especially since the one dude has a 9 door. The only reason I might not raise is if the bring-in is super aggressive, but that is pretty rare in these things.

I don't see how you can fold to the rr on 3rd getting such good odds.

That said, I'd check fold 4th. Best case scenario is he has something like 747A, but even then you only have like 54% equity.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hero has a T door. Quite possibly the worse door card in the game. Villain has 7, a decent respectable card. Even if he gives you credit for a range of tens or 3 strong broadways, pretty much most of his possible down cards are going to be at least even money with you. Why wouldn't he look you up? He can get away easy if he misses and traps you easily if he has a hand.

Hero is risking 900 to win 600. He has to be right something like 75% of the time. Given the upcards and position the bring in is going to play back at him at least 50% of the time. It's throwing money away without a specific read.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:19 PM

how are u coming up with 900 to win 600? There's 300 in antes and 200 for the bring in. By completing, we risk 600 to win the 500 in the pot.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:14 PM

You're right its 600 to win 500. The odds just arent there with that ugly door.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tournament - 7 Card Stud High-Low (600/1,200), Ante 100, Bring-In 200 (converter)

Seat 1: 10,789
Seat 7: 3,223
Hero: 8,488

3rd Street - (0.50 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes___calls

[/ QUOTE ]
I am not completely horrible at 8oB. I wouldn't try a steal here because it's such a lousy doorcard. And then, the BI essentially check-raised you. I'd fold it here to the raise.

But I'd also call the river if I'd been caught up in the hand like this. I'm not giving up the pot for one more bet. Some people play worse then I do!