Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 10-27-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Confusing $8/$16 HORSE 8/b hand

I have no idea what's going on in this hand. Is this standard? Did I need to raise 5th thinking he might have 4 to a low and a pair of 2s?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($8/$16), Ante $1.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.13 SB)
Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (4.13 SB)
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (3.56 BB)
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (6.56 BB)
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

River - (8.56 BB)
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (10.56 BB - $169)

-ChipsAhoya
Old 10-27-2007, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Confusing $8/$16 HORSE 8/b hand

What type of hand did you have him on? His call on 3rd street is sort of weird'ish. I'm having a really difficult time putting him on a hand. I guess a pair of 2's, a pocket pair, or 3 flush/straight? So he hits his 2 on 4th street, I think here i would be temped to reraise him hoping to push out Seat 6. You also gain some information. Hopefully Seat 6 folds and you could have the option of taking a free card on 5th street. If he reraises you on 4th though, I think i'm calling that bet and no more. A little bit read dependant.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:16 PM

I fold on 5th street personally. Too much aggression for your aces.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea what's going on in this hand. Is this standard? Did I need to raise 5th thinking he might have 4 to a low and a pair of 2s?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($8/$16), Ante $1.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.13 SB)
Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (4.13 SB)
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a question. (It intimidates me just to read these limits, this question comes from the micro-mindset.) But it looks to me like he has a set of 2s. Otherwise, why is he betting? Which puts him on A22 or K22 with something suited . So, is it unreasonable to raise him? I raise here (at little micro limits) because if they have trips they always take the opportunity to reraise. I guess where you play they are too smart for that?
[ QUOTE ]
6th Street - (6.56 BB)
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

[/ QUOTE ]
Now here is the sneaky thing. This check would set off all alarms for me (even micros get sneaky) because why would he check? If he's working the lo why did he bet 4th, with a pair of 2s? Unless here he wanted you to think he was drawing to a lo he hadn't made and you have these nice three lo cards showing.

This is why I don't play this much, I get too paranoid - now I'd be thinking, "Oh shoot, it was QUEEN22 and he just made his wheel." Then I'd check/call to the end and lose with my nice two pair because I was right or feel like an idiot when I was good.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:18 PM

I have a real hard time with these hands. I hate life as soon as he catches that Deuce, but I think you're ok here. I think it's reasonable for him to call the completion with a variety of 3-card lows but not so much with baby-2-2.

On 4th he almost has to bet regardless with what he has, particularly since you each caught a King. It puts a lot of pressure on you and the other Ace if you were both on low draws only. Had at least one of you caught a baby instead it might be a different story.

If I trust my read then calling 5th is ok but I think it's close.

6th is interesting once you catch a Deuce and he checks to you. I think you have to bet here, if for no other reason to get rid of Seat 6.

My inclination was to check behind on the River, not seeing any value to it. But now I think you should since your hand looks like a made low and he's pretty unlikly to have trip Deuces. My guess is he'll call with any made low and pay off with any weaker two pair.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:16 PM

i'd play it the same. raising 4th is an option, but i don't like it as much since he could come over the top with two pair as well as trips.

folding 5th would be so bad. 6th is an easy bet. he's checking because he can't rep trip 2s anymore.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:20 PM

5th-7th are totally standard, 4th is the only debatable street.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:12 PM

(7stud games are my worst games) Why would you even play A Ad Td? Your chances of scooping seem pretty low [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(7stud games are my worst games) Why would you even play A Ad Td? Your chances of scooping seem pretty low [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

??? One of the hands you're supposed to play is "the best high hand" out there, which a pair of aces obv. almost always is by a long shot.

I thought about r/r 4th but that confirms that my hand is high-only. I think this is usually 3 lows and a pair on 4th almost all of the time here, which is confirmed on 6th for me.

I think the river is def. a value bet once I two pair up...

-ChipsAhoya
Old 10-28-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5th-7th are totally standard, 4th is the only debatable street.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain almost never has trip deuces but he might have 2-pair. Raising 4th is an option, its really close and I'd do it to get the hand heads up if you think the (xx)22 wont play back. Once the hand is heads up I'd check the following street unless I double paired.

I'm not so sure this is the optimal line, but its close.