Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 08:58 PM

Default GOP plan to dump paul

http://www.gambling911.com/Ron-Paul-...es-100307.html

I say barring people from joining your party who would help nominate the only person who can possibly win the general election for you this year is a winning strategy.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Re: GOP plan to dump paul

[ QUOTE ]

http://www.gambling911.com/Ron-Paul-...es-100307.html

I say barring people from joining your party who would help nominate the only person who can possibly win the general election for you this year is a winning strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul does not have the best shot of winning the election for Republicans. I wish it were true but its not.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:17 PM

Still, if he decided to run as an independent, which side do you think he'd syphon votes from?

[ QUOTE ]
"That means that only Republicans can vote in the Presidential primaries for a Republican candidate."

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what they're saying, but it seems to me that could have been worded a little clearer.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Still, if he decided to run as an independent, which side do you think he'd syphon votes from?

[ QUOTE ]
"That means that only Republicans can vote in the Presidential primaries for a Republican candidate."

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what they're saying, but it seems to me that could have been worded a little clearer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea. A lot of people would stay home if he isn't on the ticket. Some people here said they would vote Dem. Some might vote Republican. It's hard to tell.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:36 PM

The article provides absolutely no evidence that Ron Paul's candidacy is the motivation behind this. Which makes sense, since there is no such evidence to be found. And I don't even see how it hurts Paul, since I have seen no indications that he polls significant support among independents either. He'll get 2% either way.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:39 PM

what does las vegas say about ron pauls chances?
Old 10-03-2007, 09:39 PM

Nick,

You really don't think that paul would get more votes from independents and democrats being the only person who's been willing to say he'll pull out of Iraq?
Old 10-03-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what does las vegas say about ron pauls chances?

[/ QUOTE ]

6% of winning the nomination on intrade. I know Rudy and Romney have better than a 6% chance of winning the election, let alone just winning the primary.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:48 PM

The article isn't the best. Independents or Undeclareds as New Hampshire calls them, can still vote in the New Hampshire primary. People who have never voted before can still register at the New Hampshire primary and vote. I believe that people who have never voted in an election before can still register as Republican at the New York primary and vote. The deadlines the article is refering to are the party switch deadlines. So if you had voted Democrat in the past or are a registered Democrat then you have to switch to Republican by October 12th to vote Ron Paul. I think the reason New Hampshire moved the deadline up was because they're going to move their primary up since Wyoming moved theirs to January 5th, not because of Ron Paul. Paul has been as high as 5% in New Hampshire so combined with independents, he might be able to make some noise. He may have picked up some Democrats in the final months of this year so it might hurt him a little bit, but I don't think it's the end all of the campaign.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nick,

You really don't think that paul would get more votes from independents and democrats being the only person who's been willing to say he'll pull out of Iraq?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anti-war Dems will all vote in Dem primary. A higher % of independents who chose to vote in the GOP primary probably would vote for Paul than the % he gets among Republicans. But Paul's support among both groups is so small that he won't be a factor regardless of the voting rules.
I guarantee that no GOP party official in any state is afraid of Ron Paul.