Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Question about blood transfusions

[ QUOTE ]
some truth to doctor being informant, all medical records are accessible now to government, insurance, etc., so if you tell him it will probably go into your medical records.

just tell him you take vitamins and herbs like ginko biloba and ask if you should abstain or anything. (if he's good he'll talk about aspirin and ginko biloba and other stuff being blood thinners)

[/ QUOTE ]

???? I don't get this, there is absolutely no reason to be afraid to tell the doctor you smoke pot. Doctor is not going to care, and he will be able to help you and answer any of your questions. I have no idea why Iron thinks doctors are sitting around reporting to the DEA but this is absolutely not the case. Basically, they have to report gunshots/stabbings, and suspected child abuse. Thats it. Not even suspected domestic abuse, at least not in my state.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im not sure where to put this so I put it here. A family member of mine needs a blood transfusion, and im the only one with her type of blood. Is it alright to give her my blood even though I regularly smoke (not cigarettes)? If not, how long must I not smoke before the stuff is out of my system and I can give her my blood? For the record she knows that I smoke but right now she is too embarrassed to ask the doctor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a physician, and I can tell you without a doubt that your MJ will not be passed along to your relative. Your blood, when donated, undergoes a rigorous screening process. It is filtered, "cleaned" of impurities, and then divided into components. Generally, if your relative needs a transfusion for "only" severe anemia, she will only receive the Red blood cells themselves. The serum, platelets, clotting factors, etc. are set aside, unless needed as well, and even then they are given separately.

Also, doctors are under NO obligation to report drug use of any kind to anyone except the patient. And, no, the government has no access to my patients' charts, nor does your insurance company, unless the patient specifically allows it.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:25 PM

wow you mean plolover was wrong about his crackpot theory of doctors teaming up with government to crack down on john q. potsmoker? no f'ing way.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:21 AM

basically my understanding is that anyone in the "system" can potentially look up all your info. It's really that simple. I mean read between the lines people. you can't sue, and basically it's the honor system. If your records are digital and someone wants them, they can get them. that's now. in ten years, who knows. maybe insurance companies get a law passed where they get to "look up" all your records when you apply for insurance. that's all I'm saying.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, doctors are under NO obligation to report drug use of any kind to anyone except the patient. And, no, the government has no access to my patients' charts, nor does your insurance company, unless the patient specifically allows it.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs8a-hipaa.htm
[ QUOTE ]
What are HIPAA's shortcomings?

Like it or not, you are not the only one with an interest in control of personal health information. The balancing act between your interests and those of other stakeholders is often tipped on the side of government, the medical profession, related businesses, and public interests. Consumer and patient advocates are critical of HIPAA for its numerous weaknesses.

Here are some of the ways that patients' rights to privacy come up short:

1. Your consent to the use of your medical information is not required if it is used or disclosed for treatment, payment, or health care operations (TPO). In many situations such as emergencies, this makes perfect sense. You don't expect the ambulance driver to get your permission to call the hospital emergency room when you are having a heart attack. On the other hand, since your consent is not required for payment, your health care provider could submit a claim to your insurance company - even for a procedure you wanted to keep private and intended to pay for yourself. In addition, treatment, payment, and health care operations have broad definitions that encompass many activities that most people are not familiar with.

2. Your past medical information may become available, even if you thought the information was long buried and would remain private. An event, treatment, or procedure from your distant past can be disclosed the same as information about current conditions. Of some comfort, old information is given the same protections under HIPAA as current information. In addition, HIPAA's "minimum necessary" rules applies to old as well as new records. This means that the amount of information disclosed should be limited to what is necessary to accomplish the purpose.

3. Your private health information can be used for marketing and may be disclosed without your authorization to pharmaceutical companies or businesses looking to recall, repair or replace a product or medication. (For more on the marketing of your medical information see Part 5 below.)

4. You have no right to sue under HIPAA for violations of your privacy. In other words, you do not have a "private right of action." Only the HHS or the U.S. Department of Justice has the authority to file an action for violations of the Privacy Rule. All you can do is complain to the one who violates your privacy or to the HHS. However, you may be able to sue under state law using the HIPAA Privacy Rule to establish the appropriate standard of care.

5. Business associates of a covered entity can receive protected health information (PHI) without a patient's knowledge or consent. Before entering into an agreement with a business associate, a covered entity must receive assurance that information will be handled appropriately, After that, handling of sensitive data by business associates is left only to an honor system. Even when the limitations of the Privacy Rule are applied, many people can still see your medical records when carrying out the business of the plan or provider. Business associates may include billing services, lawyers, accountants, data processors, software vendors, and more. Your doctor may, for example, disclose your health information to a business associate that processes medical bills. A written contract for this arrangement is required, but the doctor doesn't have to check to see that your information is being handled correctly. If there is a violation, the business associate is supposed to report it.

6. Law enforcement access to protected health information under HIPAA is a significant concern of privacy and civil liberties advocates. Some disclosures may be made to law enforcement without a warrant or court order.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.epic.org/privacy/medical/

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/healt...rview/index.htm
Old 10-06-2007, 02:22 AM

[censored] happens.

http://rense.com/general78/snitch.htm

[ QUOTE ]
"Debbie is a mom from Uxbridge who was in the examination room when the pediatrician asked her 5-year-old, 'Does Daddy own a gun?' When the little girl said yes, the doctor began grilling her and her mom about the number and type of guns, how they are stored, etc.

"If the incident had ended there, it would have merely been annoying. But when a friend in law enforcement let Debbie know that her doctor had filed a report with the police about her family's (entirely legal) gun ownership, she got mad. She also got a new doctor.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-06-2007, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[censored] happens.

http://rense.com/general78/snitch.htm

[ QUOTE ]
"Debbie is a mom from Uxbridge who was in the examination room when the pediatrician asked her 5-year-old, 'Does Daddy own a gun?' When the little girl said yes, the doctor began grilling her and her mom about the number and type of guns, how they are stored, etc.

"If the incident had ended there, it would have merely been annoying. But when a friend in law enforcement let Debbie know that her doctor had filed a report with the police about her family's (entirely legal) gun ownership, she got mad. She also got a new doctor.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so freaking made up. Just look at their main page, the guy is a total kook. Aliens and conspiracies and OMG wifi will melt your brain.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is so freaking made up. Just look at their main page, the guy is a total kook. Aliens and conspiracies and OMG wifi will melt your brain.

[/ QUOTE ]

true rense posts stuff from absoluttely everywhere, but this story is reposted from a reputable site.

also the first para
[ QUOTE ]
If "mental health screening" wasn't bad enough, beware of the simple Check Up for your children. Michael Graham, talk show host on Boston radio station WTKK gave his listeners an ear full after finding out that his family's pediatrician and grilled his child about sensitive family matters--fishing for abuse allegations when he was only supposed to be giving her a sports check up. His outrage was published by the Boston Herald.

[/ QUOTE ]

gives specifics.

not only that, quick google search turns up
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/opi...icleid=1035832

why do you think it's so hard to believe?

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/...5/152621.shtml

[ QUOTE ]
Doctors to Spy on Patients' Gun Ownership

Miguel A. Faria, MD
Monday, March 26, 2001

Just when you thought talking to your doctor or psychiatrist was one of the most private and confidential things you could do ... think again. (1)

In what it describes as an effort to curb handgun violence, a group called Doctors Against Handgun Injury is calling for sweeping changes in doctor-patient confidentiality that would allow doctors, including psychiatrists, to pry about their patients' gun ownership.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-06-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea why Iron thinks doctors are sitting around reporting to the DEA but this is absolutely not the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you need to do some further research.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea why Iron thinks doctors are sitting around reporting to the DEA but this is absolutely not the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you need to do some further research.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely got me, but in SMP its almost TOO easy. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]