Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Question about blood transfusions

Im not sure where to put this so I put it here. A family member of mine needs a blood transfusion, and im the only one with her type of blood. Is it alright to give her my blood even though I regularly smoke (not cigarettes)? If not, how long must I not smoke before the stuff is out of my system and I can give her my blood? For the record she knows that I smoke but right now she is too embarrassed to ask the doctor.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Question about blood transfusions

I'm pretty sure that as long as "not cigarettes" means marijuana, this should be no problem at all. I don't think they even test blood for THC at like the Red Cross or anything. So even in a NON-emergency situation you can give blood if you smoke.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:32 PM

I'm pretty sure asking your doctor in an indirect matter would be totally understood.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:37 PM

Yeah, just ask him directly, he isn't going to care. If you can't ask your doctor questions about a necessary blood transfusion, you should find yourself a new doctor.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure asking your doctor directly and privately would be the only decent play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-03-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure asking your doctor in an indirect matter would be totally understood.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.

i think that it most likely won't matter. i wouldn't have a .25 bac when you donate, but if you lay off all drugs a couple days before i'd imagine you're fine.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:48 PM

The last thing you should do is ask your doctor. They are required to report these things to the DEA, and your security risk score will skyrocket if they discover that an addict is trying to transfuse people with smokey blood. How will you fly to Amsterdam then?!
Old 10-03-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The last thing you should do is ask your doctor. They are required to report these things to the DEA, and your security risk score will skyrocket if they discover that an addict is trying to transfuse people with smokey blood. How will you fly to Amsterdam then?!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL what?
Old 10-03-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is weird. In all seriousness, a doctor works with the best information available to him. I'm sure it's no big deal, but if you're concerned, ask your doctor. He'll be honest with you.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:42 PM

some truth to doctor being informant, all medical records are accessible now to government, insurance, etc., so if you tell him it will probably go into your medical records.

just tell him you take vitamins and herbs like ginko biloba and ask if you should abstain or anything. (if he's good he'll talk about aspirin and ginko biloba and other stuff being blood thinners)