Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 08:47 PM

Default Quitting my crap job to grind 2/5+ live??

Is this a good idea or not?

I'm 23 and just started a [censored] job close to Foxwoods. The job is going nowhere, the money is unimpressive, and I'm working 50 hours a week. I'm not getting out enough, not making enough money, and unclear on how I want to spend the rest of my life. Graduate skoool is likely in the future, but I'm not ready to commit to any field of study.

The good news:

I'm a successful 1/2 and 2/5 live player w/ 1000+ hours of experience. I've been going to Foxwoods 4-6 times a month, clearing over $1,500/mo. My game is tight and unsophisticated, and there is plenty of room for improvements/increased winrates.

My wish:

I've been imagining how much fun it would be to move to a B&M city (probably Vegas, LA, or AC) and split a house/apt with other like-minded degenerates. I would take on 2/5 for a living with an initial $15,000 bankroll, and improve my game through experience and discussions with my new roomies. I would play poker probably four days a week, and bartend 1-2 days a week for a change, and to stay social.

My question:

Is this a good idea? Will I go crazy grinding it out in a B&M for days on end? Am I not being realistic? And finally, is there anyone who feels similarly?
Old 09-19-2007, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Quitting my crap job to grind 2/5+ live??

You can make more money in less time playing on the internet. I don't know why anybody would play live exclusively at those stakes.

Re: your questions, some people can do it, some can't. Only people who know your play and personality well could give you a meaningful answer as to whether or not this is a good idea. However, if you have the opportunity to try it out without costing yourself much down the road (in terms of job advancement, being out of the industry, etc.) then go for it.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:08 PM

Will this (negatively) impact your ability to get into grad school?

If not, this seems like the best time in your life to pursue such a goal. The downside is pretty minimal.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:22 PM

do it. i've been grinding 1/2 and 2/5 for about a year, switching from the internet then. it's great. i don't play nearly enough but i travel a lot, i make enough to pay all my bills, do whatever i want and save a little money. i play ~20 hours a week these days, it was a lot more in the beginning.. i don't spend as much money so i don't have the drive to play as much.

i think if you have no career goals it's a great idea. don't move to LA. i mean, if you want.. but its a crappy area imo, cost of living is through the roof, etc.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:31 PM

why not just bartend 4-5 days a week instead? I doubt the 2/5 money will be much better.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:37 PM

Go for it. But work on your micro stakes online game at the same time and start moving up online, adding extra income when you get sick of playing live, which will happen for sure. And plan for something in the future to better your life so you don't wind up at the exact same place with no money saved in 5 years.

If you want to move to Vegas and need a roomie I'm down.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:52 PM

I wish I was younger so I could do what you want to do.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:07 PM

Most of these type of posts make me roll my eyes, but you sound like a legit candidate. You have the roll and an apparent realistic perspective of things. Staying social and working part time is clutch.

Throw in a little time playing online, mentally prepare yourself for break-even stretches and downswings, and continue to learn. If you are lucky, you will have your fun and still decide to go to grad school, ultimately enjoying the best of both worlds.

Mixing it up between the efficiency of online poker, and the social aspects of live play, is a great way to maintain your sanity. However, between the time spent in the poker rooms and behind the bar, I would seriously consider living alone. That should provide you with enough human contact. The unappetizing shenanigans involved with roommate situations are an unnecessary distraction.

Don't solicit advice from family members that don't know anything about poker. Their natural risk-averse attitudes, which are intended for what they think will be in your best interests, can neg you out. Just go for it and have a blast.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of these type of posts make me roll my eyes, but you sound like a legit candidate. You have the roll and an apparent realistic perspective of things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a successful 1/2 and 2/5 live player w/ 1000+ hours of experience. I've been going to Foxwoods 4-6 times a month, clearing over $1,500/mo. My game is tight and unsophisticated, and there is plenty of room for improvements/increased winrates.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he should put in alot more hours than just 4-6 times a month. That isn't even a taste of what it's like to play for a living.

Also, $1500 for only 6 times a month? Seems like he's ina good stretch of running well. Only 1000 hours? Not alot to really base anything on.

Keep the day job and learn how to grind with backup.

b
Old 09-19-2007, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Most of these type of posts make me roll my eyes, but you sound like a legit candidate. You have the roll and an apparent realistic perspective of things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he should put in alot more hours than just 4-6 times a month. That isn't even a taste of what it's like to play for a living.

Also, $1500 for only 6 times a month? Seems like he's ina good stretch of running well. Only 1000 hours? Not alot to really base anything on.

Keep the day job and learn how to grind with backup.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I wish I were 23 again. I would play online and multitable all day, every day. There is so much money to be made if you are intelligent you need to take your shot now.