Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 08-24-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Am I a scumbag, B&M?

Everyday I see posts here where ppl take some blatant angleshot and then post about it while acting innocent. That is the inspiration for this post.

Late in my 1/2 session, some 2/5 player decides to slum it at my table for awhile. He ends up sitting directly to my right, and goes crazy, stealing almost every pot. It's not too long before I realize he's either drunk or not paying attention, and peeks at his hole cards with only one hand. Without any effort on my part, I can see his hole cards in 4/5 hands.

After half an hour of watching him steal pots w/ 8 high, I start reraising him light PF to isolate and take him down. I never hit a big score against him, seeing as he consistently hit 2 pr and i was running completely card-dead. Ultimately I probably took 60-75 from him. I only kept this up for 45 minutes before this player went BUSTO against some other fish who flopped a monster.

My question: am I a scumbag? I don't have an obligation to tell him to hide his cards, but does this border on douchebaggery? This feels like more of a grey area than some of the other moral questions i see here, but i may be biased.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Am I a scumbag, B&M?

Unless he had done something specifically horrible to me I would tell him something like this while the cards are being shuffled, "I think I got a flash fo your hole cards last hand, you should probably cover them a little better."
Old 08-24-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My question: am I a scumbag?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

The spoils of war go to the victor.
He should have concealed his cards.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:33 AM

I have had this happen on occasion. My standard is I tell the person once that I can see his cards. If it continues that I can see the cards without moving into a better vantage point then I use the information to my advantage.

As a side note I have told some people (usually old men, or nice people) more than once. Mean people or jerks get the standard one time only.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:44 AM

I should add that this player was entirely capable of shoving 150BB at any point with complete air. There was potentially a ton of money to be made in this situation.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have had this happen on occasion. My standard is I tell the person once that I can see his cards. If it continues that I can see the cards without moving into a better vantage point then I use the information to my advantage.

As a side note I have told some people (usually old men, or nice people) more than once. Mean people or jerks get the standard one time only.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds most reasonable response to me
Old 08-24-2007, 11:46 AM

Yes, tell him the first time you noticed it.

Although I have been told 'so don't look then' on a couple of occasions, after which I won't say anything any more.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:01 PM

Scumbag, not so sure.

Angle-shooter, 100%.

I don't really see the gray area that you refer to, any way you look at this situation you are clearly taking advantage of the situation. The reason I say not so sure about the scumbag part is that it seems a certain level of shadiness is acceptable in poker.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:03 PM

All,

Its only angle-shooting if the op went out of his way to see the action players cards.

If action player did not conceal his hand shame on him.

Its like they teach you in 1l Caveat Emptor.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:06 PM

If a player is clearly an experienced B&M player, and is acting stupid on purpose, I have zero sympathy and wouldn't help them.

If someone is clearly new to play, I'm more than happy to help them protect themselves.