Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Ron Paul\'s Straw Poll Showing

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I win by Giuliani is hardly a win for Republicans, Conservatives, or America.

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to Shrillary a one eyed cocker spaniel choosing policy by where he poops on a grid of alternatives is a win for America.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they would be so different.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Compared to Shrillary a one eyed cocker spaniel choosing policy by where he poops on a grid of alternatives is a win for America.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 08-12-2007, 01:29 AM

Romney spent approximately $2200 per vote that he received in the straw poll. Ron Paul spent around $200 per vote. Romney brought people in by buying their tickets and chartering a fleet of buses to bring people in from all over the state. Romney and Huckabee both had huge tents with bands and free food(Huckabee catered "Famous Dave's BBQ" for 3500 people).

The campaigns purchased 25000 tickets for people to attend and less than 15000 voted. Romney's campaign is known to have purchased at least 5000 tickets and it is rumored they may have bought as many as 10000. Needless to say they were not happy to receive less than 5000 votes. There were 200-300 buses of people brought in from around the state. Ron Paul's campaign purchased 500 tickets and did not bus people in.

IMO this straw poll was a disaster for Romney and the GOP in general. I think it was a positive step for Ron Paul. He was supposedly at 1%, then 2%, now in Iowa he got 9%. If he improves on that in NH he is suddenly a candidate who is gaining momentum. If he fails to improve his campaign is probably over.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The campaigns purchased 25000 tickets for people to attend and less than 15000 voted. Romney's campaign is known to have purchased at least 5000 tickets and it is rumored they may have bought as many as 10000. Needless to say they were not happy to receive less than 5000 votes. There were 200-300 buses of people brought in from around the state. Ron Paul's campaign purchased 500 tickets and did not bus people in.

[/ QUOTE ]

They did. Unfortunately for the principles involved, it was on Romney's buses.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Then the conductor called your stop, breaking you out of your waking dream and you realized that it will be Romney or Giuliani against Clinton and Paul will have no influence on policy, the usual objective of the unelectable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for the record Copernicus, which Neo-con are you supporting? I know Guliani is the front-runner, but Romney just won the Straw poll. Also, that Bush wannabe Fred Thompson could actually get off his rear and run. I'd just like to know before it becomes a 100% lock for the nomination. So many of you Neo-cons were pushing George Allen before he fizzled out, just curious if your brave enough to back someone before he becomes a "lock".

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't classify any of the candidates as neo-cons, but disregarding that attempt at perjorative, of the current group Giuliani. I am probably more closely aligned with Romney's policies and style than Giuliani's but I accept the reality that a Mormon can't win the big one. It is that same acceptance of the reality of anti-Black and anti-woman sentiment that gives me hope for Giuliani in the general election, not any real understanding of the issues by the swing voters. As Ive said before, sometimes you just have to take the ugly wins. They still count in the standings.

Edited to fix mis-reading of the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

You agree with Giuliani's stance on gun control and abortion?
Old 08-12-2007, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Adanthar, are you implying that the Ron Paul Campaign is responsible for their supporters riding on Romney's buses?
Old 08-12-2007, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Adanthar, are you implying that the Ron Paul Campaign is responsible for their supporters riding on Romney's buses?

[/ QUOTE ]

That article is certainly implying that the campaign was at least tacitly supporting it, isn't it?

http://ronpaulpledge.com/wordpress/?p=21 <==== This site certainly loves the idea. How affiliated are they?
Old 08-12-2007, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the article you've cited clearly states that the people promoting the idea of hitching a ride on Romney's buses were acting independantly from the campaign.

I guess if you can't afford to get to a polling place the "principled" thing to do is not vote and let the people with the money make the decisions for you. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2007, 03:08 AM

You're right that, without more, I shouldn't have phrased it that way - I apologize and retract the suggestion that Paul's campaign did this directly.

So, let me rephrase that. How's a campaign based around libertarian philosophy tacitly endorsing their supporters' usage of another campaign's resources?
Old 08-12-2007, 03:12 AM

This was a party, not an election. Hitching a ride on a Romney bus, taking a Romney ticket, and then voting for Paul is like going to a club, but because you can't afford it, you feel justified in stiffing the cabbie, sneaking in the fire exit, and then stealing a bottle from behind the bar.

The straw poll is about as important as the class president election at Ames High School. Maybe less so, at least the class president may get a little back seat action out of his win.