Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 01:26 PM

Default Ron Paul + Democrats Team up To Fight Iraq War

Democrats have picked an unlikely ally in efforts to end the Iraq War. Or maybe it’s the ally who has chosen them.

But either way, it appears maverick conservative Republican *— and presidential contender — Ron Paul of Texas, will be getting plenty of help from anti-war Democrats on his proposal (HR 2605) to repeal President Bush’s authority to use force in Iraq within six months.

Democrats find it strange that Paul, who sounds like his GOP colleagues on a lot of other issues — like his staunch opposition to tax increases, for instance — would speak against Democrats’ timetable for withdrawal from Iraq (HR 2956). But the truth is, Paul prefers a tougher approach — an immediate withdrawal, which he believes would happen once the president’s authority to wage war has been revoked.

“It’s a good proposal,” says John Hall, D-N.Y., one of 19 Democratic cosponsors.

At least one other presidential contender agrees. Democratic liberal Dennis J. Kucinich of Ohio has signed on as a cosponsor, too.

Could this be the beginning of a conservative-liberal presidential ticket?

Not likely, according to Bruce Fein, Paul’s campaign legal counsel. He says Democrats have latched on to Paul’s measure to inoculate themselves against charges they’re playing partisan politics with the war.

“Allowing a vote on the Paul bill would demonstrate bipartisanship. It’s all about optics,’’ Fein said.

© 2006 Congressional Quarterly
Old 07-27-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Ron Paul + Democrats Team up To Fight Iraq War

Finally a viable third party ticket...Paul and Kucinich. They can form the Eccentric Party.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Finally a viable third party ticket...Paul and Kucinich. They can form the Eccentric Party.

[/ QUOTE ]

cute joke.

supposedly he's already invited Dr. Walter Williams to be his running mate.

now that would be awesome.............
Old 07-27-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not likely, according to Bruce Fein, Paul’s campaign legal counsel. He says Democrats have latched on to Paul’s measure to inoculate themselves against charges they’re playing partisan politics with the war.

“Allowing a vote on the Paul bill would demonstrate bipartisanship. It’s all about optics,’’ Fein said.

[/ QUOTE ]

So did you read this when you wrote your OP title? That's exactly what's going on; Paul gets to play patsy for Democrats who want to tout how 'bipartisan' and 'mainstream' they are.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:48 PM

It'll get filibustered to a pulp in the Senate, anyway.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:50 PM

Didn't take long to find that Dr. Walter Williams is also a great candidate on the Eccentric Party ticket:

"That's because, since there's no Santa Claus or Tooth Fairy, in order for government to give one American a dollar, it must, through intimidation, threats and coercion confiscate that dollar from some other American. I'd like to hear the moral argument for taking what belongs to one person to give to another person." (Emphasis added)
Old 07-27-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cute joke.

supposedly he's already invited Dr. Walter Williams to be his running mate.

now that would be awesome.............

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be awesome. However, Williams would not be allowed to host Rush Limbaugh's show anymore. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2007, 01:54 PM

"So did you read this when you wrote your OP title? That's exactly what's going on; Paul gets to play patsy for Democrats who want to tout how 'bipartisan' and 'mainstream' they are. "

Well it's HIS Bill they are supporting, so I'd say they're being forced to play patsy to him (or else be accused of partisan politics as usual).
Old 07-27-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't take long to find that Dr. Walter Williams is also a great candidate on the Eccentric Party ticket:

"That's because, since there's no Santa Claus or Tooth Fairy, in order for government to give one American a dollar, it must, through intimidation, threats and coercion confiscate that dollar from some other American. I'd like to hear the moral argument for taking what belongs to one person to give to another person." (Emphasis added)

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that Williams is quite correct on that.

I think the ideological basis of a Paul/Williams Administration would be the closest thing in perhaps 200 years to what the Founders had originally - and wisely - envisioned for America.

I'd vote for Ron Paul/Walter Williams in a heartbeat.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that Williams is quite correct on that.

I think the ideological basis of a Paul/Williams Administration would be the closest thing in perhaps 200 years to what the Founders had originally - and wisely - envisioned for America.

I'd vote for Ron Paul/Walter Williams in a heartbeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me Too... how do you think Williams will be reacted to by the Feminists? He has been known to crack a joke or two about the role of his wife... and how he buys her kitchen appliances as gifts.

I can only imagine how mean the "she woman man haters club" will get if this ticket gets traction.