Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-23-2006, 04:37 PM

Default Re: 50k Challenge reopened with higher stakes

Doug,

Define what you mean by "hold accountable". You just mean the vocal censure of like-minded liberals like yourself? Or something more substantive?
Old 12-23-2006, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A group of a couple hundred cells to be giving the same rights and consideration as a human. It is claimed that we should respect the religous view over the scientific view.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm against growing embryos for research, and I'm an atheist. Science has no opinion on what is and isn't human life.

[ QUOTE ]
To allow the church to proclaim that condom use in Africa is unethical, is nothing short of criminal genocide.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. Certainly it's highly irresponsible, and selfish (the cynical would say that they like breeding because it creates more Catholics), but if Africans are stupid enough to believe in the comical religions of their former white oppressors, then they deserve everything they get.

[ QUOTE ]
everytime we allow those who hold positions arrived at thru means other than reason to speak with the same authority as the scientific community.

[/ QUOTE ]
What authority does the scientific community have to speak on the human condition? No more than any other.

[ QUOTE ]
The wager that we make when we allow those who hold faith over reason to continue unabashed in their evanglizing, preaching, and manipualtion of realty is only slighty better defined, I hope.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this, up to a point. The wasted lives of people like BluffTHIS, and otherwise intelligent individuals who suffer from the ills of childhood introdoctrination and limited awareness, are one reason to fight harder against religion. Personality flaws + strong childhood indoctrination + social reinforcement means that these people never stand a chance. I agree we should be more vocal for their sakes.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:15 PM

I know isnt it terrible that those ministers are trying to convince men that raping virgins is not infact an effective aids treatment? (One of my frieds went to Africa to speak about AIDS awareness and this is a commonly held belief among many populations in Africa that the church is trying to debunk)
Old 12-23-2006, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know isnt it terrible that those ministers are trying to convince men that raping virgins is not infact an effective aids treatment? (One of my frieds went to Africa to speak about AIDS awareness and this is a commonly held belief among many populations in Africa that the church is trying to debunk)

[/ QUOTE ]
If you don't realize that the church has majorly contributed to the AIDS epidemic with their bizarre ideas, then you need to open your eyes (or maybe read the opinions of experts on the subject)
Old 12-23-2006, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doug,

Define what you mean by "hold accountable". You just mean the vocal censure of like-minded liberals like yourself? Or something more substantive?

[/ QUOTE ]BluffThis what do you think we should do toward people that believe that killing people that don't follow the same faith as them will secure a place in heaven with 70 some odd virgins? What about people that insist the existence of a soul in a blastula forbids it's use as a mehtod to save the lives of hundreds of thousands of people?
Old 12-23-2006, 06:36 PM

I know promoting abstinence is a shame isnt it ?
Old 12-23-2006, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm against growing embryos for research, and I'm an atheist. Science has no opinion on what is and isn't human life.

[/ QUOTE ] What method of reasoning do you use to arrive at this conclusion?

[ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Certainly it's highly irresponsible, and selfish (the cynical would say that they like breeding because it creates more Catholics), but if Africans are stupid enough to believe in the comical religions of their former white oppressors, then they deserve everything they get.

[/ QUOTE ] The wager that we make when we say that those who follow religion are too stupid to bring about the end may give you pause even during times where you say it's there own fault.

[ QUOTE ]

What authority does the scientific community have to speak on the human condition? No more than any other.

[/ QUOTE ] Peer Review is a pretty powerful force in the discovery of truths. Science has slighty more authority in those areas that they have studied in detail.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know promoting abstinence is a shame isnt it ?

[/ QUOTE ]
boy, I hope they don't get involved with preventing food poisoning.

luckyme
Old 12-23-2006, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a guy who is a murder that donates to the red cross. what is your point?
An accidental good effort done for the wrong reasons and accompanied by horrific deeds is not commendable and doesn't wash away the crime.

luckyme
Old 12-23-2006, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, when the doctor signs the death certificate she just flips a coin on the premise that she has no scientific basis for claiming Hortense is dead. And rarely writes, 'this wombat is still alive' instead.

Sure we could ask the natives if the spirit of the chief is actually in the whale so we can't eat it, but it's a tougher sale ... but it passes the 'non-scientific' test and may well stand up in court these days.

luckyme