Old 11-10-2006, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Bumvertising

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

[ QUOTE ]
By definition, a rational capitalist pursues profit

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong- from dictionary.com

1. a person who has capital, esp. extensive capital, invested in business enterprises.
2. an advocate of capitalism.
3. a very wealthy person.

None of which mentions the reasons they have for advocating capitalism or for which reasons they have for investing in business enterprises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude. You looked up capitalist. This is not the same thing as rational capitalist. Not all capitalists are rational. Duh!
Old 11-11-2006, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am pursing profit and moral edification. The terms arn't mutually exclusive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either one controls your behavior or the other does.

Case #1: If, at the point of conflict, you forego morality for profitability, then you are pursuing profit. This is the behavior of the rational capitalist.

Case #2: If, at the point of conflict, you forego profitability in order to "be moral", then you are pursuing morality. This is the behavior of a charitable organization.

Case #3: If there is no point of conflict, then it is irrelevent which you are pursuing, because you actions are the same either way.

Your hypothetical is built around the assumption of Case #1 (at the point of conflict, profitability controls and morality yields -- hence the request for a special "sub-minimum-wage" to make the "moral" action open to profiteering).

q/q
Old 11-11-2006, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Um guys, it can and has worked, and for a poker site no less. It was in fact banned by concientious politions (contradiction in terms) who clearly hate the poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

Source?
Old 11-11-2006, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
two questions.

1: how is giving someone spare crack money to stop harrassing the public explotation?

2: Why on earth would I want to associate my business with a bum?

NeBlis

[/ QUOTE ]As a special employer I would probably implement some drug testing procedure. And work with the state to provide drug consouling to addicts. Many business would jump at the chance to get a public image as helping the less fortunate. Was McDonalds living on mars when they decided to start the Ronald McDonald house charities? Is every business owner that has a Jerrys Kid's bucket at the cash register stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should be able to pay a bum whatever you want if he wants to accept your offer. But, I don't think your 'jump at the chance' argument compares very well. Collection buckets and other charitable donations are no-strings-attached forms of gifting. Only the most cynical call this advertising of charitable giving as exploitation of a cause for business PR. When you start 'helping the less fortunate' by making their help contingent on directly advertising your business, it offends more people, and much of your goodwill diminishes.

But, associating your business with bums is the most obvious reason that this is a bad idea.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Doug

I don't think you would get any bums to hold advertisements for minimum wage. A good pan handler can make up to $300 a day.

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

And the guys who hand out advertising leaflets were making around $10/hr last summer in NY. The guys who stand on the side of the road in chicken suits/pirate suits/big hands pointing to new home sites etc, were making around $12/hr.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And the guys who hand out advertising leaflets were making around $10/hr last summer in NY. The guys who stand on the side of the road in chicken suits/pirate suits/big hands pointing to new home sites etc, were making around $12/hr.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your source for this claim?

q/q
Old 11-12-2006, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your source for this claim?

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

New York City wages are some of the highest in the country.

NYC has also cracked down on the street activity so has taken away other options for non violent street people.

I am not surprised at all that this would happen in NYC. I have occasionally seen homeless people handing out fliers in downtown Boston in a shopping district.

Oh yeah, that $300 per day pan handling figure mentioned in a post above is not sustainable anywhere in the USA. A 'good' pan handler could make over $70 per day in Boston most likely. A top earner could probably earn more but not much more- much more than this and they have great salesmanship skills so they could earn considerably more in the straight working world if they can get their act together. Moving above that would be people dealing drugs, including 'bunk' or fake drugs, or shoplifting, etc. Or of course, honest work. And most of this is not going to be happening on a 5 day week, 4 weeks a month. Things are a lot more transient than that, with rare exeptions.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:34 PM

Bums certainly make more than min wage, and could even make a livable wage for someone with good financial sense.

Doesn't matter if they are a street bum or a professional athlete/musician/artist/gambler, if you can't manage your money, no amount of money will make you financially secure.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Doug

I don't think you would get any bums to hold advertisements for minimum wage. A good pan handler can make up to $300 a day.

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

Inflated - we did a documentary, and found that under the *best* conditions, (high traffic affluent area such as a public open air mall in Santa Monica) a pan handler is capable of making $15 to $20 an hour.

AB
Old 11-14-2006, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know those people that hold the big arrows, point to "open house" or "big sale"?

Not only do they make $12 to $17 an hour, they actually have to go to school to learn how to spin and waggle the arrow.

They give you a bonus if you figure out a new arrow trick.

I'm serious.

AB