Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2006, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Bumvertising

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Doug

I don't think you would get any bums to hold advertisements for minimum wage. A good pan handler can make up to $300 a day.

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]So i guess good pan handlers wouldn;t take my job. What about bad pan handlers?
Old 11-10-2006, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Doug

I don't think you would get any bums to hold advertisements for minimum wage. A good pan handler can make up to $300 a day.

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]So i guess good pan handlers wouldn;t take my job. What about bad pan handlers?

[/ QUOTE ]
\
Check out 'spare changee newspaper' in Boston.

And you would have to deal with the negatives of the stigma that would be associated with your business as a result of having unkept people holding your signs.

I think it might make an interesting social experiment but those are a couple thoughts off the top of my head.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So i guess good pan handlers wouldn;t take my job. What about bad pan handlers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad panhandlers work just enough to "earn" enough money to buy a bottle of fortified wine. They're not trying to earn money rather they are trying to get wasted.

Stu
Old 11-10-2006, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Doug

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]
\

And you would have to deal with the negatives of the stigma that would be associated with your business as a result of having unkept people holding your signs.

I think it might make an interesting social experiment but those are a couple thoughts off the top of my head.

[/ QUOTE ] I belive newspaper deliever doens't have to follow minnimum wage laws. These are the laws exempting employers from minimum wage laws in OHIO(just the first one I plulled up.)
by the United States;
as a baby sitter or live-in companion (whose principal duties do not include housekeeping);
in newspaper delivery;
in outside sales compensated by commissions;
in an executive, administrative or professional capacity;
in agriculture (if the employer did not use more than 500 man-days of labor in any one quarter);
in services of a charitable nature;
by a police or fire protection agency, and;
at a camp or recreational area for minors, if operated by a nonprofit organization.

Yes this would basically be like a homeless newspaper, but it would be a homeless advertiser.

From spare change newsparer
[ QUOTE ]
* to produce a product that poor and homeless people could sell while maintaining self-respect and dignity;
* to provide a vehicle for homeless, poor, and marginalized people to showcase their talents and tell their stories;
* to educate the public about the issues and realities of homelessness and poverty

[/ QUOTE ] My company wouldn't want to educate the public about the issues and realities of homelessness and poverty.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As a conscientious capitalist

[/ QUOTE ]
False premise, by definition.

[/ QUOTE ]Humourous, but not true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Elaborating:

By definition, a rational capitalist pursues profit, not moral edification, so the premise of the poster's argument is, by definition, false.

The upshot is: either the sub-minimum-wage employer *is* pursuing personal profit (in which case his behavior should be addressed as such) or he is behaving as a *charity* (in which case the profitability of the arrangement is not the defining factor).

q/q
Old 11-10-2006, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By definition, a rational capitalist pursues profit, not moral edification, so the premise of the poster's argument is, by definition, false.

[/ QUOTE ] I am pursing profit and moral edification. The terms arn't mutually exclusive. I don't wish to maximize profit at the cost of moral edification, just make a profit, while mantianing my standard of ethics.

[ QUOTE ]
The upshot is: either the sub-minimum-wage employer *is* pursuing personal profit (in which case his behavior should be addressed as such) or he is behaving as a *charity* (in which case the profitability of the arrangement is not the defining factor).

[/ QUOTE ] But in my case it would be. The profitablility of the business would be the deciding factor on if it is part of a workable solution to homelessness and poverty. While maintaining the self respect and dignity of the homeless and impoverished.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By definition, a rational capitalist pursues profit

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong- from dictionary.com

1. a person who has capital, esp. extensive capital, invested in business enterprises.
2. an advocate of capitalism.
3. a very wealthy person.

None of which mentions the reasons they have for advocating capitalism or for which reasons they have for investing in business enterprises.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Doug

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]
\

[/ QUOTE ] I belive newspaper deliever doens't have to follow minnimum wage laws. These are the laws exempting employers from minimum wage laws in OHIO(just the first one I plulled up.)
by the United States;
as a baby sitter or live-in companion (whose principal duties do not include housekeeping);
in newspaper delivery;
in outside sales compensated by commissions;
in an executive, administrative or professional capacity;
in agriculture (if the employer did not use more than 500 man-days of labor in any one quarter);
in services of a charitable nature;
by a police or fire protection agency, and;
at a camp or recreational area for minors, if operated by a nonprofit organization.

Yes this would basically be like a homeless newspaper, but it would be a homeless advertiser.

From spare change newsparer
[ QUOTE ]
* to produce a product that poor and homeless people could sell while maintaining self-respect and dignity;
* to provide a vehicle for homeless, poor, and marginalized people to showcase their talents and tell their stories;
* to educate the public about the issues and realities of homelessness and poverty

[/ QUOTE ] My company wouldn't want to educate the public about the issues and realities of homelessness and poverty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of what your company does, you have to make it worth the homeless person's while to do it. This would mean financially, as well as other considerations (panhandling they have no supervisor, are paid cash on the spot, have no fixed schedule, can move about at will, etc). The successfule one's make more than minimum wage and are paid cash immediately. Plus they can drink and use drugs 'on the job' if you will, if they want to do that.

You have to make it worth their while, in their subjective opinions, or they will not 'work' for you.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:45 PM

This would never work.

1)most every bum makes more than min wage begging
2)They either don't want a job or are bat [censored] crazy/on drugs and or booze... thats why they are bums

The only time I have ever seen this work is soliciting a homeless guy to mow your lawn. This is a good way for them to make a quick buck with little to no responsibility.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:58 PM

Um guys, it can and has worked, and for a poker site no less. It was in fact banned by concientious politions (contradiction in terms) who clearly hate the poor.