Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-29-2007, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Moral dilemma/car dealership help? (a little long)

[ QUOTE ]
i'm not exactly a car expert, but i don't see how a 2004 would lose 30% of its value in 7 months if it's not being driven. not giving this guy free mani sounds like a pretty good plan to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah the guy's kid was prob doing donuts in it or something. no money for you.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:20 AM

All,

There seems to be a lot of hostility toward car dealerships in general here. A lot of "F--- The Man" attitude, and I can atone for car dealerships screwing over other people by sticking it to them in this scenario. Thing is that I don't care about what they've done in the past. I want to find the balance in this situation and this situation alone.

I don't feel responsible for them accepting a car without title. I wasn't 100% sure before I made this thread, but I was pretty certain that it was the dealership's responsibility to make sure the title was in order before shipping the $$$. I also think $1500 or something around there is out of the question. However, I do feel bad for wasting their time, after the fact. Bottom line is they did waste effort trying to get a hold of me and trying to get me to cooperate. Do you really think the fact that it wasn't my fault that the ordeal came about in the first place absolves me of the fact that time/effort was wasted in the midst of this ordeal? I've been wrestling with this question all night and I still can't come up with a well-reasoned answer.

I expect a company like BMW to assume I'm an idiot and take the necessary precautions. However, I don't think it's on them to assume I will be a prick going forward.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:34 AM

They are a company trying to make money off of you. It isn't your responsibility to make it easy for them.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:36 AM

Hello gonores, I work at a car dealership and I can tell you that this is not your problem. With take trade-ins without title all the time but always take precautions. Number you you run the DMV report on the car to make sure that you are the rightful owner. The trade is treated as cash so eventually if you cannot provide title you would owe money by law.

If you traded in your mom's car for example we would give you the relevant DMV paperwork to return.

Dealerships are highly motivated to sell cars. We hold checks, try for favors to get financing, pick payments and the such. All you need to do for that dealership is to buy the car.

I hope I can give you some perspective here. Its a weird situation but ultimately the dealership needs to act fast to resolve this and enforce their contracts.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:41 AM

If you insist on being a naive, bleeding heart twit at least give away your money to a good cause. The GM is making [censored] up in an effort to take your money for his personal gain.

J
Old 11-29-2007, 02:44 AM

pretty surprised at the responses here. I think a lot of people are getting caught up in hating car dealerships or particularly the slick salesman who called you up.

anyway, the following is not cool with me:
[ QUOTE ]
I can't remember the specifics on signing day, but I probably told them I couldn't find it, but that everything was cool and I'd look for it and get it to them or order a replacement title. Of course, I go home and forget about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

having the title is obviously very relevant here, and you made a significant misrepresentation to the dealership about it.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pretty surprised at the responses here. I think a lot of people are getting caught up in hating car dealerships or particularly the slick salesman who called you up.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has nothing to do with hating car salesmen or dealerships, it has to do with the retardedness of giving someone money they arent entitled to nor deserve, simply because they called and whined about some situation that was their own fault.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:01 AM

on further reflection, I don't really understand why you're not on the hook legally here.

example: I offer you sell you my wii and all my games for $500. I give you the wii now and wrt the games say "Everything is cool - I'll look for them and get them to you or get you replacement games." You give me $500. I never give you any games.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:04 AM

Had the company:

1. Had some agreement as to when you needed to deliver the title.

2. Followed up within a week or two about obtaining the title.

If one or both of these happened and you took months to get them the title then I suppose there would be a small amount of moral obligation.

From your standpoint, the situation was taken care of about 2 months after they contacted you about getting the title. That is morally worth a nice apology.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:11 AM

gonores def acted dickish here and kinda screwed over the dealer but that doesnt mean he owes them money.