Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 11-16-2007, 04:36 PM

Default Shall I Re-Evaluate my 401k?

Just curious if I should adjust my 401k allocations, considering the volataile way things are going lately. Here are my options...

Fidelity Advisor Balanced T (FAIGX)
Fidelity Advisor Dividend Growth T (FDGTX)
Fidelity Advisor Equity Growth T (FAEGX)
Fidelity Advisor Equity Income T (FEIRX)
Fidelity Advisor Government Income T (FVITX)
Fidelity Advisor Growth Opportunities T (FAGOX)
Fidelity Advisor Intermediate Bond T (FTBRX)
Fidelity Advisor Mid Cap Ii T (FITIX)
Fidelity Advisor Overseas T (FAERX)
Fidelity Advisor Small Cap T (FSCTX)
Fidelity Advisor Strategic Income T (FSIAX)
Fidelity Prime Fund; Daily Money Class (FDAXX)

Right now I have:
FAERX (50%)
FAGOX (30%)
FSCTX (20%)

I have FAERX at 50%, in order to build it up faster since I only recently added it to my portfolio. I wanted to have it catch up in value to the other funds I have - plus it was running hot for a while while the other two were kinda flat.
FAGOX and FSCTX are a bit more aggressive, and they are getting beat the worst lately for me.

I do not want to lower my contributions or anything, I just thought maybe there could be a better way to allocate my contributions in order to minimize the losses right now? Anyway, maybe there is nothing to do but ride out the volataility (sp?) - but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Shall I Re-Evaluate my 401k?

You do seem a little to heavy in the overseas. That will definitely have the most variance (IMO). If it were my portfolio I would probably cut that part of the investment to around 20% and put the rest in a balanced or equity income fund. You still will have a lot of volatility with 20% their and 20% in the small caps but the swings won't be as great.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Shall I Re-Evaluate my 401k?

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious if I should adjust my 401k allocations, considering the volataile way things are going lately.

[/ QUOTE ]
It depends on what else you have in your overall portfolio. You have to look at your entire asset base to determine whether your allocation is appropriate for your specific situation.

If these are the only investments that you own, then you're missing a "core" holding which would from this group be either FDGTX FAEGX or FEIRX. The core holding normally represents 30-50% of the total.

With interest yield curves being relatively flat, growth is likely to outperform value (Ken Fisher), so FAEGX is probably the best of these three.