Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Quitting my crap job to grind 2/5+ live??

I think the OP's current situation is the most important factor here. He's young, unattached, and doesn't make much money in the job he currently has (and doesn't like). There is no real reason for him not to take a shot at it. What's the worst that could happen? I simply don't buy the idea that he won't be able to get a job ever again. Sure, employers might raise an eyebrow, but just say "hey, it was something I always wanted to do, I had fun and made some money, now I'm ready to be a grownup." I can't believe that former poker players are going to be completely shut out of the job market. It's got to be similar to a guy who went to Hollywood and tried to make it as an actor, or went to Thailand to teach English and hang out, or whatever young kids do that they're passionate about.

Contrast OP's situation to mine, for example: I'm 38, have a wife, a baby and another on the way, and about an $11K monthly nut. I'd have to be a damn fine poker player to quit and be guaranteed of bringing in $11K a month (at least that's how I see it).

OP, this opportunity won't be there forever. Do something you enjoy. This is not a permanent life decision you can never undo. Take your shot while you're young and unattached.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:17 PM

No one said he won't be able to get a job ever again. However, the impact this can have on future seeking of employment is fairly relevant, wouldn't you say? If he takes a years' worth, or more, time to do this, the resume gap plus lost experience/application of real life and job skills is going to hurt quite a bit. Not as easy as you make it sound.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No one said he won't be able to get a job ever again. However, the impact this can have on future seeking of employment is fairly relevant, wouldn't you say? If he takes a years' worth, or more, time to do this, the resume gap plus lost experience/application of real life and job skills is going to hurt quite a bit. Not as easy as you make it sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't know, as I'm not an HR person.

It will certainly raise eyebrows with some employers. It may not be easy, but lots of people are able to get jobs after extended absences from the workforce. Stay at home moms, ski bums, travelers... hell, even prisoners can get work, usually.

I agree he probably would have trouble getting an analyst job on Wall Street, but if his job kinda sucks now, I'd bet he could get a kinda sucky job in a few years too.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't know, as I'm not an HR person.

It will certainly raise eyebrows with some employers. It may not be easy, but lots of people are able to get jobs after extended absences from the workforce. Stay at home moms, ski bums, travelers... hell, even prisoners can get work, usually.

I agree he probably would have trouble getting an analyst job on Wall Street, but if his job kinda sucks now, I'd bet he could get a kinda sucky job in a few years too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been in and out of the job market the past 2 years. It's my experience that after glancing over your resume, they only care about "what have you been doing lately?"

So if you don't mind starting at the bottom then you can still have any career that you want in the future.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

ps - I was under the impression that Foxwoods games were softer than vegas games, anyone know?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a word, yes.