FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2006, 04:00 AM

Default Re: Bumvertising

[ QUOTE ]
What determines language?

[/ QUOTE ]
people cooperating with one another.
[ QUOTE ]
If you want to get into this semantic arguement I might as well take this one further and say the people don't determine exemptions genes and memes do.

[/ QUOTE ]
My point is that *society* is not something which can act. Participants in society, do.
[ QUOTE ]
Jonestown
"Jonestown was the communal settlement made in northwestern Guyana by the Peoples Temple, a cult from California. The cult leader, Jim Jones, for whom Jonestown was named, founded it in the mid-1970s, "

"Jim Jones called a meeting under the pavilion as night fell. It was another “white night,” which had been rehearsed before, but this time, Doctor Laurence Schacht, Nurse Annie Moore, and others mixed cyanide and Valium into a metal vat full of grape Flavor Aid. It was extremely effective, causing death within about five minutes"

[/ QUOTE ]
That's pretty [censored] up, yo. Unfortunately these people valued killing themselves rather then living. What's the point of this again?
[ QUOTE ]
Conmen are not another story, very good conmen don't need to welch on the deal or use fraud. Trick is a nice way to put it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Conmen steal and [censored], don't they? Give me some examples of what your talking about.
[ QUOTE ]
From dictionary.com....

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah your right, I was incorrectly using the word I suppose. However, this also makes exploitation not necesarily wrong. All one needs to do is assess whether it is +EV for those involved. Not only can we not measure that because it is subjective, but even if it was objective it does not justify a billion dollar bureacracy to act as a nanny for those involved. As long as there are both smart people and...less intelligent people on earth, these situations are going to arise.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Voluntarily participating is an overrated idea.

[/ QUOTE ]
Compared to what?

[ QUOTE ]

Although it's clear that forcing people into actions that are not what they want is generally bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
When you step up to be a volunteer to others forced experiments I will take this statement with some degree of seriousness, until then I always assume it is self righteous and self serving.

[ QUOTE ]

There are of course exceptions that we as a society determine.

[/ QUOTE ]
No. That is what caused the mess. That is why we have a huge beast called governement that is causing huge amounts of distruction.

[ QUOTE ]

Secondly voluntarily participation isn't always an indication that parties involved are free of exploitation. Very good conmen and salesmen use influence to get someone to voluntarily consent to exploitation.

[/ QUOTE ]
No. This is another slippery slope. If you are personally concerned (as I may very well be) about a particular individual being 'exploited' then you can offer your time and energy to assist them in increasing their deficiencies, so long as they consent.

There are millions of people in this world who feel uncomfortable about situation x (i.e. someone being 'exploited'). Well, the issue at hand is that the millions of people are not taking responsibility for their feelings, they are deflecting responsibility onto 'the state'. Grow up, when you feel bad it is an experience happening in your own body, and you are solely responsible to manage that feeling. When you whine to government you are acting like a baby. Are you not capable to manage your own emotions? Do you think it is someone else's job to be responsible to change the world in such a way that you can not feel bad? Do you not see how incredibly irresponsible and incredibly selfish that is?

Animals live, die, and suffer. But they never seem to make a problem out of it. We can all learn something from animals.

If I have a child that is run over by an armed robber fleeing from a bank robbery it is a tragety. But it is MY tragety. The emotional exerience I have as a result is My responsiblity. The correct thing to do is to seek healing, with the support of friends and family, etc. To use professional support if I choose and have the means.

All too many people go off pushing for government to 'fix' the 'problem' of 'armed robbers' and 'speeding', etc ad infinitum. This is irresponsible. It is irrational to expect there should be an entity to make the world 'safe'.

It is also irresponsible to deflect responsibility for one's emotions to 'the state' or 'government'.

Trying to pass happiness laws is the apidomy of irresponsilbe behavior. No one owes you happiness. No one owes you contentment. No one owes you safety.

This is a general message, I like Doug and do not intend to come across as picking on him. I think we all suffer from this mindset to varying degrees under varying situations.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Um guys, it can and has worked, and for a poker site no less. It was in fact banned by concientious politions (contradiction in terms) who clearly hate the poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

Source?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.bumvertising.com/