Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 05:31 PM

Default National City closing my account due to online gaming

I've been playing poker for money since December 2004. I've played on a wide variety of sites and got started by cashing in a freeroll for $2, built that up to everything I've made to this day (mid 5 digits).

I've cashed probably 30 checks from various online sites at National City with no issues whatsoever. I used Neteller for a long time and probably made 50 transfers to my checking account, no issues.

Two months ago an old Prima site I played on gave me a $500 bonus in some promo they were running. Needed to clear a bunch of hands so I just gambled with it and ended up running it up to 16k or so in total. The only way to cash out was via EcoCard, and I did so successfully, wiring the money to my checking account in two seperate $8k chunks about a month apart.

I got a call last weekend from a branch manager at my bank needing an explanation of what these wires were (post 9/11 environment, I guess?). I was honest. Short conversation, I figured all was well.

In the mail today was a letter stating that effective June 4, I should stop using my checking account. June 8th I would get the balance of my account mailed to me. They are closing my account. I called to find out WTF was going on and talked to a manager who only knew vague details, but said online gambling is against their policies, and my account was being closed for that reason. She couldn't tell me whether it had always been like this or only since last fall when the legislation passed. She also said I could reopen a new account (!! then what is the point of this one closing), but it would also be closed if I was seen to be doing any online gambling transactions.

Anyone had experience with this at National City or another bank? I guess this may have been a long running policy, because I have never been able to deposit to sites via my debit card. Maybe they just never knew what all the checks were from? This is all just a big inconvenience and I can't believe they're doing this without a warning or anything.

Finding out more Monday but I'm kind of irked. God bless the USA.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Re: National City closing my account due to online gaming

lol tell them to shove it up their ass
Old 06-01-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol tell them to shove it up their ass

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, I would talk to the highest ranking person at that branch manager or president and let him know how big of a [censored] he is, before switching banks
Old 06-01-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe they just never knew what all the checks were from?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right.

He called and asked you what they were from. You told him.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:26 PM

The checks weren't the issue though obviously, as I had been depositing those for >2 years now. The wire transfers were the problem, but the only was to cashout of Prima.

Should have just said they were from my online business? Not sure if lying would have been the best play or not.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:30 PM

Get a new bank man you don't want to patronize idiots like this.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The checks weren't the issue though obviously, as I had been depositing those for >2 years now. The wire transfers were the problem, but the only was to cashout of Prima.

Should have just said they were from my online business? Not sure if lying would have been the best play or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were the wires direct from EcoCard or directly from Prima to your bank?
Old 06-01-2007, 06:39 PM

I bank with National City and I have never had any problems. I cashed a PokerStars check there as recently as Friday.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:52 PM

Wires were from EcoCard. They seemed to have no idea what the wires were from, which is why they called me and asked.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:00 PM

telling them the truth was a big mistake. you know banks are suppose to stop online gaming transactions. you will prolly need to get another bank. next time tell them the transactions are from an online business.

gl.