Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2006, 02:28 PM

Default Re: easy fold or we see sd?

[ QUOTE ]
A. what does a solid player call two cold on the button with here?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
A. 55-99, maybe 22-44 as well. maybe something QJs-ish, though I personally would fold it. not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the villain does this, then he's no where near as solid as OP and the rest of us are giving him credit.

People who cold-call preflop raises with small or medium pocket pairs are giving money away.

If I were the villain, depending on my read on the hero and the limper, I might reraise with a pocket pair as weak as 88 or even 77, but I would never cold-call.

Best case is that the villain has an overpair to the flop; however the action suggests very strongly, as others have said, that the villain flopped a set, probably holding 99. (I suppose it's possible that she cold-called with suited A9).

Whether it's an overpair to the flop, a flopped set, or A9s, it is no longer true that the OP has never seen the villain make a mistake.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People who cold-call preflop raises with small or medium pocket pairs are giving money away.

If I were the villain, depending on my read on the hero and the limper, I might reraise with a pocket pair as weak as 88 or even 77, but I would never cold-call.

Best case is that the villain has an overpair to the flop; however the action suggests very strongly, as others have said, that the villain flopped a set, probably holding 99. (I suppose it's possible that she cold-called with suited A9).

Whether it's an overpair to the flop, a flopped set, or A9s, it is no longer true that the OP has never seen the villain make a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this line of thinking. For a solid player 99 is the only set which seems likely unless the blinds here were very loose and he expected five to the flop. There's some possibility that he played AQs, though his flop call would rule this out. AKo is also in the running, especially if he views you in much the way you view him, though he would be hard pressed to keep going after your flop raise. I'm not comfortable marrying your description of him to an A9s.

Even AA (though they're case cards) is possible if he expects to trap you and get extra bets in from the bad UTG player. This is a mathematical longshot but could fit if you're dealing with very tight players in the blind.

I believe I'd call down here, though not happily. Your upside is that he has to put you on a big pair, rather than a big ace. He could be raising for a free showdown and/or somehow hoping the A is a scare card which helps leverage pushing you off a better hand.

Nothing really fits and sometimes you need to call down peculiar bets, though nobody can blame you for folding here if your sixth sense is screaming that you're beaten (as it seems it was here). A lot would ride on how he sees you.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:11 PM

You have to call down.
Raise flop was good.

1. He is a bad player so if he paired the board your A and Ks so with 7SBs in the pot you have to atleast call, secondly you can bluff any paint.
2. You have isolate.

from turn on if he is as solid as you say he is I'd just check/call down. If he has something like JJ or QQ or even TT, I'd want him to bluff at it.

Thats one reason why you have to call. A solid player could play JJ the same way, and if he is a thinking player, he might be trying to bluff you by raising the A since your post flop raise indicates a overpair. His move is beneficial for 2 reasons.
1) You fold
2) if he did have JJ or QQ, he'd probably want to showdown anyway or atleast define his hand. If you raised or bet the river he could probably fold sure he is beat. (This part depends on your image, have you been aggressive? have you been folding too often?)

In anycase I'd call the turn raise and check/fold the river, if he doesn't seem to make many mistakes I'd doubt he river bet something that doesn't beat you since you'd call anyway. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt to eliminate AQ and AJ from his holdings by assuming you having done any loose aggressive UTG+1 raises.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:41 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

His hand range is so narrow we can and should fold.

He coldcalled preflop, coldcalled the dry flop and then popped the turn? I'd have wanted to open fold my hand when Villian coldcalled the flop.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to call down.
Raise flop was good.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're wrong twice.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His hand range is so narrow we can and should fold.

He coldcalled preflop, coldcalled the dry flop and then popped the turn? I'd have wanted to open fold my hand when Villian coldcalled the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed... does this change when the A falls on the turn?
Old 09-22-2006, 12:24 AM

who was villain
Old 09-22-2006, 12:40 AM

your read on the villian is off because he should have 3-bet with 99 preflop, shouldn't have cold called with a9 or a5 or whatever preflop and shouldn't have cold called with 55 or 33. he is not as solid as you think, cause he messed up if he has you beat at this point. i dont know if that means you should call down though.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:40 AM

Is raising the flop here our best way to figure out where we're at? It just feels weird raising here because any two overcards is probably likely to call. I'll even say a small pair like 44,66-88 will likely ccall. I'm sure they can see that this flop is very ugly. The ccall preflop isn't shocking or anything because he's likely to peel with any two overs here. It is good that we realized he ccall preflop because if we knew he's a solid player I'm more likely to give him credit for a set than two pair.

Here's what I had in mind on the turn. Instead of betting the ace how about check and let him bet it. The ccall threw me off and now I want to find out where his hand really is. If we raise and he has two pair or better he's likely to 3bet, at this point we need to figure out what type of hands he's likely to have. I don't think calling 3bet is automatic even though we do have TPTK. My personal read is that he has a set and I can fold the 3bet raise on the turn.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:31 AM

If you're so quick to consider folding, i can see why a decent 'observant' opponent would raise the turn with any two cards.

People who call two cold preflop in that situation are probably not too great though. 99 is literally all that makes any sense for someone playing in a way that i'd describe as well, and even then a good player would probably prefer to 3bet.