Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 10-18-2007, 08:09 PM

Default Check this wheel anywhere? $15/$30 Razz

Should I check this wheel anywhere? Villain is suuuuuuuper aggressive and I'm surprised I didn't get r/r on 3rd. I thought I could get a bet/raise in at some point but he never bit. Is that still fine given an aggro villain or is it better to go for the c/r instead?

Razz ($10/$20), Ante $1.50, Bring-In $3 (converter)
3rd Street - (1.05 SB)
Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
4th Street - (3.35 SB)
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
5th Street - (2.68 BB)
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
6th Street - (4.68 BB)
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
River - (6.68 BB)
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___folds

-ChipsAhoya
Old 10-18-2007, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Check this wheel anywhere? $15/$30 Razz

The joyous situation of getting to bet/3bet him on any given street is a much better result than getting a successful c/r. Given your description of the villain this is a very real possibility, unfortunately it did not happen this time.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:49 PM

I wouldn't do it usually but I guess there is an opportunity on 5th.
It's a pretty mandatory bet for them if you check here if they caught
anything good as they will suspect you paired.

I'm not sure it would win you any extra bets though as they will then be
more likely to fold 6th if still drawing.

Tx.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:06 AM

I think villain pretty clearly has a bad hand. You're showing the same board as him up until 5th. If he's as aggressive as you say, and he had a 4 card low on 4th, he'd probably raise. If he had a 5 card low on 5th, he'd probably raise. The fact that he did not raise these spots and folded the river makes me think he paired and had something like A7 or 47 in the hole. Good enough to draw but not good enough to raise you (his cards are, after all quite life, you're often FOS here (not you in particular, just razz players) and a lot of the time that you have a made hand it's an 8 or a bad 7)

The problem is, can you get him to bet, and if you raise, will he call? It's often difficult to predict and razz is a tough game to get people to bet for you, esp with boards like yours. If you check and it checks through you might get improved action on 6th and 7th though, although here it would look like you got lucky and "made your 8" anyway. (In case it isn't clear, yeah, 5th is the ideal place to check - he probably has a good draw and might bet it if he thinks he's ahead. Most people know those same draws are dogs to even bad made hands on 6th and there are lots of cards that will kill your action)

You got a little unlucky is all. Ideally he'd have made a hand on 6th, thinking he sucked out on you, and went to town.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:55 AM

I'd definitely bet every street hoping for a raise.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:21 PM

Against an aggressive opponent a c/r on 5th seems reasonable. When you bet 4th and get called, he might see a check on 5th as you slowing down (maybe you paired on 5th; maybe you paired on 4th AND 5th) and he will certainly bet his board there. Then again, you might not get anymore bets in - which would make it a wash. I think its a very reasonable play to try on 5th.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:46 PM

By the way I like a check on 4th against an aggressive opponent who will think you have paired and will bet whether he did or not (or he might think you have like a buried 8 or 9). This is almost the same as betting since he will certainly bet it for you and you can either raise or call, setting up for 5th.

Don't make this play every time, but it's a regular part of my heads up arsenal against an aggressive opponent (LAG or TAG). Don't bother with a passive player, just lead out.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:35 PM

Just keep betting. Looking for more than one bet on a street is optimistic. Just be happy to be called down.