Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker

Old 09-29-2007, 02:25 PM

Default NLTRN: Premium pair vs. aggressive villain. Overcards on flop.

This happens relatively often to me. Scenario:

Villain isnt per se bad, may be a winning player but can be easily exploited because of his overaggressiveness. He 3bets way too light, calls a lot of raises OOP and generally relies on taking the pot away from you at some point. He calls a lot of cbets and bets at the pot as soon as you show weakness. Bluffs a little too often and just doesnt give up until given clear signs that hes beat (or I wont give up).

All in all, an _at best_ mediocre LAG. As I said, may be a winning player at low stakes cause people cant handle him.

Now this hand takes place:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (2 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Hero (t1540)
BB (t1460)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t240</font>, Hero calls t180.

<font color="blue"> yay, Queens. We raise and he 3bets. 4betting is out of question. I have position and there is a decent chance I can end the match in this hand. </font>

Flop: (t480) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t280</font>, Hero calls t280.

<font color="blue"> [censored], overcard. Okay, hes gonna cbet this flop 100% of the time and I still have position. My equity is way above 50% vs. his range and Im getting odds. Raising will only fold out worse hands. I call. </font>

Turn: (t1040) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

<font color="blue"> Okay good, looks like hes giving up. Im not gonna bet though. A CRAI is just way too likely. </font>

River: (t1040) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t940 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

<font color="blue"> [lots of bad words, calling names and screaming at my monitor] I cant call. I fold. </font>

Final Pot: t1980

<font color="red"> Anndd I feel like such a [censored] FISSHH when this [censored] happens! </font>

How can we change that?
Old 09-29-2007, 02:29 PM

Default Re: NLTRN: Premium pair vs. aggressive villain. Overcards on flop.

This line actually screams weakness. Would he really check the turn if he is an overaggressive donk? This is an advanced play if he has an ace and he bets the flop, checks turn and bets the river. Usually an overaggressive donk would either bet all street or check the flop. I doubt he would play the hand this way. This is actually a call most of the time.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:30 PM

Busted flush draw ftw (??)
Old 09-29-2007, 02:37 PM

similar hand It is from cash game but it is similar situation. In this thread, the conclusion is that it depends on what level of thinking villain is. In your case, villain doesn't seem to be capable of multiple level thinking so this is probably a bluff from him a large % of time.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:10 PM

This really depends on the villain and metagame.

If he hasn't been reraising you then his range here probably consists of strong aces and high pairs. I don't really think many non-ace hands have a flush draw here. The high pairs don't really turn into bluffs so I would definitely fold here.

If he has been raising you a lot then his range here consists of a lot more air and missed draws so I would be more prone to calling this.

-----

I don't feel like wasting this post, but I've changed my mind and decided that the turn looks a lot like a missed check/raise. I would call this against a player I thought was pretty spewy, but against anything close to average I think you need to drop.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If he hasn't been reraising you then his range here probably consists of strong aces and high pairs. I don't really think many non-ace hands have a flush draw here. The high pairs don't really turn into bluffs so I would definitely fold here.

If he has been raising you a lot then his range here consists of a lot more air and missed draws so I would be more prone to calling this.

-----

I don't feel like wasting this post, but I've changed my mind and decided that the turn looks a lot like a missed check/raise. I would call this against a player I thought was pretty spewy, but against anything close to average I think you need to drop.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has to have a reason to checkraise, xSCWx. It depends on the history. Your first part of the post was good though. You screwed up a little bit by changing your mind and making a generalization. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-----

[/ QUOTE ]

He has to have a reason to checkraise, xSCWx. It depends on the history. Your first part of the post was good though. You screwed up a little bit by changing your mind and making a generalization. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I see a lot of mediocre players here try to c/r all in on these turns just to try to push out worse hands. I don't agree with it, but it seems pretty common to me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

PS: I still agree it has a lot to do with history.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:57 PM

Standard yo. 4-bet PF/flop fold/river call are options, but I'd probably take this line vs. an unknown.

Oh he's not unknown. 4-bet looks a little better but I probably wouldn't pull i out if you haven't done that before in this match, don't fold flop, river fold is probably good.