Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life

Old 09-17-2007, 10:28 PM

Default Re: \"major in anything and go to law school\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.uic.edu/cba/cba-depts/eco...grad/table.htm

There's a study I found that does not support what I read in that book at all. The sample size is not huge, but it isn't tiny. I think the study in that book was every applicant USC had over a number of years, which would blow those numbers away, but I'm not sure. I'll try and remember the title.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your remembering the study incorrectly or there is significant sampling bias involved. LSAT scores are correlated pretty heavily with IQ and more specifically the ability to reason logically. Those are both things most communications majors lack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, you have a lot of confidence in comm majors.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:44 AM

Yeah seriously, huge assumptions like that are awful. I'm a Comm major, but it isn't my only one and I also have a minor. The work involved in doing well in the major, at least here, isn't a joke at all. There is a ton of reading and writing involved, and if it's what I'm actually interested in, then why insult?

I'm not remembering the study incorrectly at all; I specfically remember it because I read it when I was considering law school and was surprised that comm was so high and philosophy so low on the list that was in the book. I'm not saying the study is not flawed though; I'll keep looking for it.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:01 AM

Noah,

I've done some research on law school boards and stuff, but I have a few questions.

Why take the LSAT June of Junior year instead of during Senior year?

At what level of law school does it not make sense to go to law school, financially speaking? Anything outside of Tier 1, or are some Tier 2's still worth it? Assuming no scholarship or a modest scholarship.

Hypothetically, would it be worth it to go to law school with a 2.9/165? 3.0/170? 3.2/160? Top 15-20 liberal arts college.

To what extent will law schools forgive a bad freshman year, assuming there is an upward trend? For instance, something like 2.6, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6 rounds out rounds at only around 3.25-3.3

What did you do during your summers during college? Do they care if you had internships? I assume it's a minimal plus if you've had good internships, but a negative if you haven't done anything worthwhile outside of school?

Thanks,
Schundler
Old 09-18-2007, 05:45 AM

Law school in Canada is only like 12k/yr for a decent school.

This is my plan as it is a lot more +EV than in the US.

And sorry, but Communications is the joke degree all the athletes do. Okay it still might be tough to do really well, but it's still communications.

edit: my university's law school tuition is $7,860. top 5ish in the country.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Noah,

I've done some research on law school boards and stuff, but I have a few questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

me > Noah

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

most law schools have rolling admissions. hence, it's better to apply early. if you want to apply during your senior year, you want to be firing off apps on Oct 1 rather than studying for the lsat.

[ QUOTE ]

At what level of law school does it not make sense to go to law school, financially speaking? Anything outside of Tier 1, or are some Tier 2's still worth it? Assuming no scholarship or a modest scholarship.

[/ QUOTE ]

really depends on what your salary would be with/without law school. this is kind of just a math problem. do some research on average salaries. keep in mind that it is possible to get a pretty kickass job even from a low ranked school, you just have to be top of your class.

[ QUOTE ]

Hypothetically, would it be worth it to go to law school with a 2.9/165? 3.0/170? 3.2/160? Top 15-20 liberal arts college.

[/ QUOTE ]

there are too many intangibles here, but if you have to ask whether or not you should go to law school, the answer is probably that you shouldn't.

[ QUOTE ]

To what extent will law schools forgive a bad freshman year, assuming there is an upward trend? For instance, something like 2.6, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6 rounds out rounds at only around 3.25-3.3

[/ QUOTE ]

unless someone here actually knows an admissions officer, this would all be speculation. I'm sure people have anecdotal evidence, but nothing concrete. you can look up what ranges of GPA's particular schools are taking, but that won't help much without an LSAT score.

[ QUOTE ]

What did you do during your summers during college? Do they care if you had internships? I assume it's a minimal plus if you've had good internships, but a negative if you haven't done anything worthwhile outside of school?

[/ QUOTE ]

my guess is this will make almost no difference unless you've done something amazing. having career experience, on the other hand, is different.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

most law schools have rolling admissions. hence, it's better to apply early. if you want to apply during your senior year, you want to be firing off apps on Oct 1 rather than studying for the lsat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aside from just getting in, you need to check what your school's policy is regarding scholarships. I applied way late (January/February), didn't get offered any scholarships, and was frustrated to discover that several of my classmates with significantly worse stats than me had received academic scholarships.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

really depends on what your salary would be with/without law school. this is kind of just a math problem. do some research on average salaries. keep in mind that it is possible to get a pretty kickass job even from a low ranked school, you just have to be top of your class.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. I graduated with a degree that required a masters degree to make anything above 20k, so it was an obvious decision for me. I know more than a few people, however, who were making 50k+, didn't get great grades in law school, and are now going to be stuck struggling to find a job that pays close to that, if they find a job at all. Like Jeff said, it is certainly possible to get a good job from a lower ranked school if you rank high, but the problem is it's difficult if not impossible to REALLY know how well you're going to do in law school. Again, anecdotal, but I know quite a few extremely bright people with excellent pre-law school careers who simply did not do well in law school.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:51 PM

The TRUTH is that law school's couldn't give a [censored] about your GPA as long as it is not entirely mediocre. They don't give very much of a [censored] about your extracirriculars or if you are "interesting." They care about whether you beat your LSAT to the ground, whether you can add some "diversity" (i.e., are you from the midwest or black), and whether you show the propensity to make money as a lawyer. Your major is really not that important because if you can pump [censored] your LSAT and explain why you want to make money through the law, they are gonna want you anyway. So:

1. Score a 170 or above on your LSAT so you can write your own ticket to just about any law school.

2. Write an essay that shows that you are interested in an area of law (and why).

3. Try to get a job at a PRIVATE firm so you can have an idea what the law is really about. I highly recommend this. If I worked in the law for a few months, there is a VERY good chance I wouldn't be a lawyer right now. Try to know what you want from being a lawyer before going to law school.

4. ?????

Cliffnotes: 170+ on LSAT plus show you can make money by reading things = top law school

Barry
Old 09-18-2007, 06:42 PM

For example, we just hired as a judicial law clerk someone who majored in theatre. I know an art hisotry major. I have a math degree. Literally, anything.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:47 PM

im glad this thread is here because I am sort of thinking about this and im not worth my own thread.

quick summary of me. i have been really lazy in college to the point where i actually was forced to take a year off by grades. I am taking a class at the tech school in madison this semester and then abck to uw-madison to graduate with 17 more credits in econ in the spring.

IF I get like a 4.0 spring semester and a 175+ do I have a chance at a tier one school. Furthermore, if I get a 180 do I have a "chance" at harvard or will a 2.2ish overall be an instant no.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Cliff notes : 2.2 gpa. 4.0 last semester 180 lsat harvard - yes/no
Old 09-18-2007, 07:55 PM

no chance at top school. yale could fill their class with people with 175+ and 4.0 cum.

Your best shot would be to get a stellar LSAT, get into the best school possible (probably a low to midlevel), then bust your ass and transfer.