Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 08:26 PM

Default \"major in anything and go to law school\"

I've heard this a few times recently, but what does it entail, exactly? (yes, this is a bit of a googletard op, but I want different perspectives to explain)

Basically, how does one go about getting into law school? and if undergrad major doesn't have an effect, what does?
Old 09-17-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Re: \"major in anything and go to law school\"

Law School Admissions Office- "We are looking for well-rounded students with academic excellence, diverse interests, leadership skills...."

What really happens is some formula that basically breaks down to LSAT+GPA= Chance of admission. Of course other things factor in, but for most schools it seems to be

40-60% LSAT score

40-60% GPA (some bonus pts. for hard sciences)

2-10% Other

And if you are an underrepresented minority then multiply everything by like a billion.

Majors to avoid: Pre-Law, Communications, Art HIstory

Majors that are good: Bio, Chem, Physics, Math

Everything else doesn't have an impact either way. I was a psych major fwiw, and other than interviewers asking "why psychology" it doesn't matter at all.

In June of your Junior year of college you take the LSAT, the single most important test you've taken in your life up to that point, where a difference of only a few points means the difference between a good school and a toilet, scholarship money or a boot in the ass.

Then you write some standard essays, submit your transcript, and wait.

(Note that law schools get the reported average GPA of your school and major, so they know that a 3.0 in bio is better than a 3.0 in art.

Also, if you can't get into at least a decent school, or you have loads of money, don't bother. I know too many people at schools that cost $150k, but the average graduate makes like 40k.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:59 PM

Great answer, thanks.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:02 PM

Okay, let's say I'm a Junior now (I am), is it too late to sign up for the LSAT?

Remember, I'm just playing with the idea. Never thought of it before, but don't have any other great plans, either.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:13 PM

Not too late, but you're going to want to meet with your school's pre-law adviser and start thinking about a timeline. I think Noah kind of underestimated the importance of the LSAT in admissions. I'd say it's really more like 67/33 LSAT over GPA.

Don't go to law school as just a default, ESPECIALLY if you aren't going to go to a top school (ie, the top 15 or so). Very few graduates from schools ranked below that will ever get a job that justifies the debt/opportunity costs.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:18 PM

I understand, and thanks for the quick and helpful answers, guys. My one skill in life, though, is standardized tests, and it's making me confident to hear that this is so important. I will start asking an advisor about this tomorrow. Obviously, I'll need to find out more before deciding anything, but we'll see...
Old 09-17-2007, 09:31 PM

Uh, Comm majors statistically have higher LSAT scores than just about anyone.

edit: Bleh, I can't remember the book I read this in. It was something written by a former admissions officer or law professor or something at USC I believe.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uh, Comm majors statistically have higher LSAT scores than just about anyone.

edit: Bleh, I can't remember the book I read this in. It was something written by a former admissions officer or law professor or something at USC I believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to see if this if you could find it. Seems unlikely to me. Maybe they just have more time study for the LSAT since their major is a joke?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:40 PM

http://www.uic.edu/cba/cba-depts/eco...grad/table.htm

There's a study I found that does not support what I read in that book at all. The sample size is not huge, but it isn't tiny. I think the study in that book was every applicant USC had over a number of years, which would blow those numbers away, but I'm not sure. I'll try and remember the title.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.uic.edu/cba/cba-depts/eco...grad/table.htm

There's a study I found that does not support what I read in that book at all. The sample size is not huge, but it isn't tiny. I think the study in that book was every applicant USC had over a number of years, which would blow those numbers away, but I'm not sure. I'll try and remember the title.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your remembering the study incorrectly or there is significant sampling bias involved. LSAT scores are correlated pretty heavily with IQ and more specifically the ability to reason logically. Those are both things most communications majors lack.