Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Pedophile that hasn\'t acted yet. Legal action?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There IS a bank you are trying to rob. There isn't a child at the other end of the internet and at that house. That's the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

The offender doesn't know this when he decides to engage in a criminal activity of soliciting a minor for sex. It's not like he doesn't know what he's doing is wrong given the parameters regardless of whether the person is real or not.

Now, I can give a little if the cops were literally inviting him over, thereby, initiating the contact. But from what I've seen, that isn't the case. Or if the cops just went to his house based on just internet chat logs.

Basically, it's like a red light at an intersection. If you choose to run through it, you might get caught and have to pay a fine(here they have cameras on some intersections). Even though, if no traffic is there, it's victimless and no one is in danger. The sign to stop is there, clearly, but you proceed anyways. You've chosen to run the light.

And yes, the drug laws are idiotic.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I've read about To Catch a Predator, it is often the fake child inviting the offender over, thus entrapping him.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Pedophile that hasn\'t acted yet. Legal action?

Whats the deal with convictions on the cases from the show?

Ive never heard of one going to trial when these threads pop up every so often - if it does go to a court of law, what charges are brought forth and do they get convicted of them?

I could be wrong cos im no lawyer, but i believe here in the UK grooming is a specific named crime and since a lot of our modern laws are modelled on the US system i wouldnt be shocked if its a crime over there where you have Meghans Law.

As for the case in the OP, i havent read the link but from what ive read in the thread i have no moral objection to him being free - i just think there should be some incentive for people who have padophilic impulses to seek councelling with legally protected anonimity (which 100% will be broken by a newspaper anyway "for the good of the public").