Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Pedophile that hasn\'t acted yet. Legal action?

[ QUOTE ]
I think he's referring to the thread where he, el diablo and runkmud are dishing on scott baio and the 2 coreys.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah, no...

here it is
Old 08-28-2007, 01:58 AM

i vote for vigilante justice
Old 08-28-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"He was also candid and unapologetic about his sexual attraction to little girls."

Ugh. The guy is a freak. Couldn't he be arrested for the web site he had up? Isn't that kind of thing illegal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't there a big difference between being attracted to something and acting on it?

Not sure what exact content was on his site. I heard it was recommendations on where to meet little girls, which I guess could facilitate a crime if it happened. But that might be a stretch.

b
Old 08-28-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bernie, what do you think of Dateline's To Catch a Predator show? (or whatever it's called) Do you think those guys should be arrested and prosecuted when they haven't harmed anyone? That show really bothers me. I don't understand how the law works where entrapment is concerned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love that show. I love watching the guys try to back out of it. But after watching it alot, it really sinks in just how creepy and rampant it is. If just by the numbers alone.

Yes, they should be prosecuted. They've clearly shown intent for their possible actions. Especially when they bring items with them to use. I mean, they're there and ready at that time. They're showing that they are in the process of acting on their impulse. Which is corroborated by their chat logs. Not to mention the guys sending pics and videos of themselves to young kids. They've crossed the line. Which is pretty damn scary. Especially when they caught like 30 in 3 days(that's alarming). I think one place caught 59 or something. People coming from 200 miles away. Think of all the people that they aren't catching. I'm not sure, but I think it's the guys who are initiating meeting, not the cops. I'd have to watch again to be sure. If the cops are initiating it, then I could see possible entrapment.

The guys they caught twice should be executed on the spot. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Like the guy they let go(pre-police/show involvement) and they found him in the same chat-room within 24 hours and met him, again, at a McD's the next day.

The guy in the OP hasn't acted on it. He's just a creep.

b
Old 08-28-2007, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If a pedophile hasn't done anything to act on his impulses, he should not only not be punished, but he should be deeply admired.

I don't think pedophiles have any more control over who they are attracted to than gay people do...they are probably born that way. How could you possibly punish someone for how they are born?

Pedophiles do bear a particularly heavy burden in society of having no way to have a fulfilling sexual life without committing acts that are criminal and deeply harmful. I can't imagine what this would be like. Nevertheless, it is a burden they must bear without acting on their impulses. Those who fail should be severely punished, but those who succeed in putting aside their desires and leading a normal life should be lauded.

However, this guy has destroyed any sympathy I might have for him with the content of his website. If he has instead (for example) set up a website describing his struggles to deal with pedophilia within the confines of acceptable society, I would feel much differently.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. But I'm still not big on prosecution for thinking.

b
Old 08-28-2007, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bernie, what do you think of Dateline's To Catch a Predator show? (or whatever it's called) Do you think those guys should be arrested and prosecuted when they haven't harmed anyone? That show really bothers me. I don't understand how the law works where entrapment is concerned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love that show. I love watching the guys try to back out of it. But after watching it alot, it really sinks in just how creepy and rampant it is. If just by the numbers alone.

Yes, they should be prosecuted. They've clearly shown intent for their possible actions. Especially when they bring items with them to use. I mean, they're there and ready at that time. They're showing that they are in the process of acting on their impulse. Which is corroborated by their chat logs. Not to mention the guys sending pics and videos of themselves to young kids. They've crossed the line. Which is pretty damn scary. Especially when they caught like 30 in 3 days(that's alarming). I think one place caught 59 or something. People coming from 200 miles away. Think of all the people that they aren't catching. I'm not sure, but I think it's the guys who are initiating meeting, not the cops. I'd have to watch again to be sure. If the cops are initiating it, then I could see possible entrapment.

The guys they caught twice should be executed on the spot. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Like the guy they let go(pre-police/show involvement) and they found him in the same chat-room within 24 hours and met him, again, at a McD's the next day.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Bernie, I understand your thinking, but I have a problem with this.

Where is the victim? There is no underaged child that the alleged perp has propositioned. No child was online, no child in the house.

I understand you can be charged with something like attempted murder if you shoot a bed full of wholes when you thought someone was in it when it was actually empty...

but is this the same thing?
Old 08-28-2007, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If a pedophile hasn't done anything to act on his impulses, he should not only not be punished, but he should be deeply admired.

I don't think pedophiles have any more control over who they are attracted to than gay people do...they are probably born that way. How could you possibly punish someone for how they are born?

Pedophiles do bear a particularly heavy burden in society of having no way to have a fulfilling sexual life without committing acts that are criminal and deeply harmful. I can't imagine what this would be like. Nevertheless, it is a burden they must bear without acting on their impulses. Those who fail should be severely punished, but those who succeed in putting aside their desires and leading a normal life should be lauded.

However, this guy has destroyed any sympathy I might have for him with the content of his website. If he has instead (for example) set up a website describing his struggles to deal with pedophilia within the confines of acceptable society, I would feel much differently.

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. the guy is doing nothing illegal. He's creeping me out, but that is not a crime.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Bernie, I understand your thinking, but I have a problem with this.

Where is the victim? There is no underaged child that the alleged perp has propositioned. No child was online, no child in the house.

I understand you can be charged with something like attempted murder if you shoot a bed full of wholes when you thought someone was in it when it was actually empty...

but is this the same thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're in the act of intending to send stuff via online or meeting an identified as underaged person. They know the definitive parameters of the situation. Their intent is clear. They're not mistakenly sending a video of themselves to a 13 yr old.

People also get arrested for trying to hire a someone to kill a person w/o anyone actually getting killed. I think that's a better parallel to compare.

b
Old 08-28-2007, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. the guy is doing nothing illegal. He's creeping me out, but that is not a crime.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Drew in your thread. It sucks, but the law has to work that way. Otherwise, you open a nice big pandora when you start legislating thoughts. Especially if the religious right gets ahold of it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

b
Old 08-28-2007, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

They're in the act of intending to send stuff via online or meeting an identified as underaged person. They know the definitive parameters of the situation. Their intent is clear. They're not mistakenly sending a video of themselves to a 13 yr old.

People also get arrested for trying to hire a someone to kill a person w/o anyone actually getting killed. I think that's a better parallel to compare.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very interesting parallel. Gives me a lot to think about today because I'm most definitely in favor of locking up the person who has solicited to hire someone to kill, but I'm very unsure of what to do with the person soliciting for sex.