Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Anyone drink a milk substitute?

I'm trying to avoid milk, though I love the taste of it.

I tried one brand of Soy milk, Silk. It was, er, ok. The aftertaste wasn't the greatest though I hear it's much better if you have it with something.

Anyone find anything comparable?

b
Old 08-24-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Anyone drink a milk substitute?

Milk substitute, no, lactose-free milk, yes. In addition to problems with lactose, I don't get along with soy very well either, and drinking soy milk would get me banned from the house. We discovered this must be genetic when we tried soy milk on my son when he was a baby and the smell nearly killed us.

FWIW, lactose-free milk is just fine. That plus lactose pills solve pretty much anything, except for those lactose-laced products that sneak in every now and then.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but it's close enough that some may find it useful.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I tried one brand of Soy milk, Silk. It was, er, ok. The aftertaste wasn't the greatest though I hear it's much better if you have it with something.

Anyone find anything comparable?

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Almond "Something", I think it's called. Almond Milk. I don't have to drink the stuff myself, I just have a lot of vegan friends. But of soy, rice and almond milk, it's the only one I actually like.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:50 PM

I think Soy milk is great. I grew up drinking Skim Milk, and liked it, no complaints. But then my g/f got me to try some Silk, and I love it. I drink all flavors, Plain, Vanilla, and Chocolate. Now when I drink Skim Milk, it tastes like water. It's definitely an acquired taste, but if you keep drinking it, I think you'll like it.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bernie, why are you giving up milk? Are you also giving up ice cream?
Old 08-24-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Soy milk is great. I grew up drinking Skim Milk, and liked it, no complaints. But then my g/f got me to try some Silk, and I love it. I drink all flavors, Plain, Vanilla, and Chocolate. Now when I drink Skim Milk, it tastes like water. It's definitely an acquired taste, but if you keep drinking it, I think you'll like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...You're probably used to the aftertaste. Not that it's a bad aftertaste, it's just real different. Reminds me of watermelon rind. Much more prominent in the plain than in the Vanilla.

I did try some brand of chocolate soy milk. Not bad. Real rich though. They really laid the chocolate on thick.

b
Old 08-24-2007, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bernie, why are you giving up milk? Are you also giving up ice cream?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Nor yogurt. Or cheese for that matter. But I don't consume those on a regular basis the way I do milk.

I read how milk can contribute to some minor illnesses having to do with mucus. Such as throat problems. I have a history of those.(which could be remedied if my tonsils came out with isn't going to happen unless it's a major emergency. That's a whole 'nother thread.)

I also heard the protein isn't as soluble as an adult, so that benefit is reduced.

I decided to try it cut way back on the milk overall. Overall, I feel a better. I don't seem to get ill as often. I'm just looking for a possible replacement. Especially in terms of breakfast.(I'm also sick of eggs for breakfast)

Not going fanatical or vegan(I love meat way too much [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]), just trying some new things.

b
Old 08-24-2007, 09:48 PM

I tried Odwalla Vanilla Soy Smart as a sample and it was so good I had to buy some. It is definitely worth trying. I’ve tried many brands of soymilk, and this had the least weird aftertaste and texture. If you find it let me know what you think. It’ll be with the other Odwalla drinks in the refrigerated health drink section.

It is pricey, so if you liked milk every morning it could be cost prohibitive as true replacement.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:24 PM

Several years ago, a ray zee post started me drinking rice milk. I like it better than soy milk although it's more expensive. Most brands seem to taste about the same, although their colors and textures might be different. I buy whatever is on sale.

I've been making smoothies with Silk Lite Vanilla soy milk. I put OJ in them also, and the combination gives them a Dreamcycle taste.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:07 PM

I'm not comfortable with the idea of drinking a big glass of milk, so I didn't have any problem switching to non-dairy milk-type products. I would imagine that drinking a cold glass of soy milk would be odd.

I like soy milk in some things and rice milk in others. For breakfast, I often make oatmeal with finely cut-up apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, and rice milk. The rice milk is sweet enough to compensate for not adding sugar.

When it comes to ice cream, I actually prefer Tofutti to most brands of dairy ice cream. And Tofutti Cuties are wonderful. Soy cheese isn't worth looking into, unless you plan on melting it into something. Then it works fine as a cheese replacement.

I still take milk in my coffee. Nothing else tastes right. And I doubt I'll ever be able to give up White Russians.