Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 12:56 PM

Default Re: What is the current fashion in men\'s tie knots?

James Bond thinks anyone who wears a full windsor is a cad, which makes a certain amount of sense when you look at the British upper class.

How formal is the occasion? Is it a business dinner, a wedding, or someone's birthday at a nightclub? What kind of suit are you wearing (you are wearing a suit, right? No suit, no tie. In fact, unless it's a formal occasion like a wedding, or you specifically want to wear a tie for some reason, no double-breasted suit, no tie - single-breasted suits usually look better without. Of course, no tie, no french cuffs).

So, all that said, collar is the most important determinent of the proper knot. Spread collar means full windsor. Always remember to put a dent just below the knot. Straight collar means the four-in-hand or half-windsor. Most other collars mean four-in-hand. You can find instructions online for tying any of them.

Cad or no, I'd prefer full windsor for a formal occasion, for which I'd choose a double-breasted suit and a spread collar. For all else I'd choose single-breasted/no tie, but if you absolutely have to wear one at a non-formal occasion, go single-breasted, straight collar, four-in-hand, no french cuffs.

Don't think you're out of the woods yet though - colour and pattern are important too. The suit, shirt, and tie must coordinate, though they don't have to match at all. I much prefer the colour of the suit and tie to be close - usually both dark, though I prefer a dark tie with a light grey suit anyway, so perhaps I'm biased here - with the shirt contrasting. Forget making the shirt and tie the same colour - not even Robert de Niro can make this look good, and you'll just look like you're trying too hard. If you have a dark coloured tie with a dark suit and a white or light-coloured shirt, it's fine to make the tie's pattern stand out. Otherwise, subtle is good. This doesn't mean weak, it just means not garish.

The tie material is important too - a tie that isn't pure silk often won't hold a full windsor properly, and it will end up looking silly. You'd never wear a tie that wasn't pure silk though, would you?

All imho, of course. There are no hard rules, any play can work in the right situation, with the right people.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:49 PM

i'd say the full, but i think the half windsor is under-rated.

also, depending upon the thickness of the material of your tie, sometimes a full windsor knot is too big. i have a ted baker tie that is rather thick and a full windsor looks ridiculous.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone at work tells me they should be short , so I dont know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not in a workplace where I wear ties so this was real news to me (mid belt buckle being the norm several years ago). Anyway, I read this thread last night just before watching the made in 2005 "Wedding Crashers" (this was much needed relief for "The Piano Teacher"). Since I'm fashion oblivious lately it was only because of your post that I noticed Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson wearing short ties. So this must be in.

If this movie has it right good news for guys with big beer guts; a long ties never worked for them anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 11-04-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thin tie looks good if you are Justin Timberlake

Otherwise just go full windsor.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is this collar style?
Old 11-05-2007, 11:54 AM

Could we get some pics in here? I'm honestly not sure whether or not I own any spread collar shirts vs. straight collar.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could we get some pics in here? I'm honestly not sure whether or not I own any spread collar shirts vs. straight collar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spread:

Point
Old 11-05-2007, 12:10 PM

OK, looks like the overwhelming majority (if not all) of my shirts are not spread collars. Good thing, since I have never tied a full Windsor knot in my life.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, looks like the overwhelming majority (if not all) of my shirts are not spread collars. Good thing, since I have never tied a full Windsor knot in my life.

[/ QUOTE ]
Those are both very sad facts. Ever notice how brits look better in suits than americans? it's not just the accent. tailoring, collar, tie all important. Full windsor, just loop from one side, then knot from the other.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:22 PM

SALAZARRRRRR!!!!,

Maybe sad, but it looked like the prevailing opinion was that spread collar = full Windsor, and anything else probably didn't call for it. If you insist I buy spread collar shirts, that's another issue.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SALAZARRRRRR!!!!,

Maybe sad, but it looked like the prevailing opinion was that spread collar = full Windsor, and anything else probably didn't call for it. If you insist I buy spread collar shirts, that's another issue.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, as I noted spread = windsor and u must buy spread [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]