Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes

Old 08-02-2007, 01:18 PM

Default $400NL. K9s. Deep vs. Reg. Play along.

Villain is 19/12/2.5 over a large sample. He seems like a decent player from the amount we have played together. We don't have much history other than 3-betting each other in previous sessions and whatnot. He seems to play more hands, 3-bet more and play more aggressively than his stats would suggest.

Party Poker
No Limit Hold'em Cash Game
$2/$4 Blinds
4 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $186.00
<u>BB: $1,218.72</u>
<u>Hero (UTG): $765.83</u>
BTN: $454.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $16.00</font>, 2 folds, BB calls $12.00

Flop: ($34) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $24.00</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $60.00</font>, Hero ...?!?!

I am assuming that PF and flop bet are standard? So what is the best move here? If I am 3-betting here, what is the size and what is my response to a 4-bet?
Old 08-02-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Re: $400NL. K9s. Deep vs. Reg. Play along.

Fine so far, I call
Old 08-02-2007, 01:21 PM

I think flat calling and using our hand as a bluff-catcher is best for the time being. If he is employing this line with a king then he will undoubtedly have a better kicker. Another possibility is that he is testing the waters with a medium pocket pair and is unlikely to place much more money into the pot regardless. Should he have a diamond draw I think there is more value in allowing him to bet it than in attempting to get our stack in on this flop.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:48 PM

OK. I assumed that calling here was the best thing to do.

Party Poker
No Limit Hold'em Cash Game
$2/$4 Blinds
4 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $186.00
<u>BB: $1,218.72</u>
<u>Hero (UTG): $765.83</u>
BTN: $454.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $16.00</font>, 2 folds, BB calls $12.00

Flop: ($34) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $24.00</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $60.00</font>, Hero calls $36.00

Turn: ($154) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero...?!?!

So here he checks the turn after I called his flop c/r. What is my best move here and why? If I bet, what is my response to a c/r?
Old 08-02-2007, 02:00 PM

Just calling the flop is good, but I was really hoping he would be the turn (like 120?) and if he did I would just call again (but not instantly).

But he checked to me on the turn, so now I have to think about what he can have. Well he can bluff that flop sometimes, he can have almost any pocket pair (but prob not 33 or TT when he checks the turn, right?), he can have a flush draw, maybe one that gained a straight draw; but can he have a K? I don't think he can have KJ or KQ or AK and check the turn. So I think we should bet, not too big though -- maybe like 100? If he raises that bet, I think it would be ok to fold because you have so much money in front of you. If you both have 400$ I think you should probably lose it all if you are behind here, right?
Old 08-02-2007, 02:07 PM

This hand makes me think about playing with a lot of money in front of you (like 3 max buy-ins or more when someone else at the table also has that).

Do you guys like doing that?

I find it makes me have to fold in places where I could call with a smaller stack.

Also, I find I get less money for big but vulnerable hands like this, because I have to control pot size so much more. Because this flop is great or K9, but now I think because of how much money is on the table for both players, we might not even get to showdown.

Yes it is true that it is the case that I have a record sized pot if I get the nuts and the other guy has a hand he cannot fold, but that situation is so rare that it does not seem to me to be common enough to offset the loss of like 1/4 of a buyin here and there that I experience regularly.

What I am asking is, is it better to just leave the table and play with 1 buy-in somewhere else?? (this is of course assuming this particular table is about normal for that buy-in level).
Old 08-02-2007, 03:06 PM

Any more thoughts on the turn?
Old 08-02-2007, 08:46 PM

id make a donkish bet of 80 here.
gets value from all pocket pairs who would probably intend on calling u down.
also gets some value from a flush draw.
i prefer this bet to a 2/3 pot bet cause it keeps the pot a little smaller which is what i want with this vulnerable hand.

if he raises ur donk bet, id call then fold to a river bet.
i dont see him bluffing three streets.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:52 AM

Well, I checked behind because I was thinking that he was either going to c/r or c/f, both of which I don't like. If I get c/r-ed, I probably have the worst hand and I am forced to fold. If he c/f I get no value out of my hand. Thoughts on this thought process? Should I be betting to get value from mid pairs and FD's?

River is a blank (don't remember what it is now as I don't have the hand history in front of me... but lets say an offsuit 2).

He checks. I bet $100. He raises to $270. $170 for me to call.

What do I do here and why? Call? Fold Raise?
Old 08-03-2007, 10:58 AM

River I call. Our hand is so underrepped right now, and there's almost no way a hand better than ours checks the turn and river. This feels like a busted fd trying to make a hero bluff on the turn, easy call IMO.