Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2006, 11:26 AM

Default Re: 5/10 66 in EP

Interesting hand, mpitts.
Limping with 66 is OK and I like your line of CR flop, lead turn. The real question is, what does MP-2 hold?

While you describe him as LAP, a VPIP of 21 is neutral at least. Plenty of 2+2ers who regard themselves as TAGs have VPIP in that area. I would describe him as Neutral, very aggressive Pre-Flop, moderately aggressive thereafter. It would be very good to know what his stats are like later in the hands, in the breakdown of Flop, Turn, River, and especially his showdown stats to see if he overplays his hands that he's so aggressive with early.

KK and 88 are the hands we are worried about. I find it hard to believe that a guy this aggressive early would just call your CR on the Flop if he had KK. Same thing if he had 88 in his hand. He probably isn't thinking very far ahead, such as a Stop'N'Go would require. One of the real advantages of limping with small pairs and hitting a set on the Flop is they are usually unsuspected by villains, so he probably puts you on a medium pair or maybe overcards. He may hold something like JJ or TT, considering his VPIP.

So when the K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] comes on the turn, I don't think it makes him a set of KKK. It may make him 2 pair.

I'd 3-bet the turn. And I wouldn't CR the river, but I'd consider a value bet, especially if this guy's showdown stats indicate that he overplays his hands. Maybe he shows you 88, but I doubt it.

And Pitts, FWIW, I don't think you misplayed the hand "horribly." Most of us wouldn't have CRed the river, but that's a minor point.

Just my $.02 worth...

bill c
Old 02-24-2006, 03:06 PM

Thanks to everyone for the comments and advice. It was a weird hand in that I felt like I was way ahead after the flop, but the K on the turn scared me. Then reality set back in and I felt that I had the best hand on the river. I definitely should have led the river instead of the C/R.

And for the record, he had JJ and MHIG.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:17 PM

Fold preflop if the table is aggressive and either bad or good.

I think I like check/raising the flop if you get there.

It's probably safe the three-bet the turn simply because the guy didn't cap the flop when it came back around to him. He might as well with the KK but won't do that with aces or AK. But you did set up a nice check-raise on the river.

I like all of this after the flop. I like that you were aggressive enough to check-raise the river, not fearing the kings.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:48 PM

I'd have three bet the turn but I don't see how you could have gotten another bet out of him. Even if the villain overplays his hand(AK) for a cap on the turn, you are forced to consider the possibility that he has specifically KK and will have to slow up anyway.

No way you get him to fold. I think you played it a little tricky but I'm sure you didn't lose any bets this way.

BTW, I can't speak for others but when I'm UTG, I either pump it or dump it (mattering on the makeup of the table) unless the table is REALLY Loose and Passive. I think you should have folded this preflop (or raised, whichever).
Old 02-24-2006, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think its wrong to put anymore raises in after villain raises the turn. Its unlikely he'll call a scary check/3-bet with AKo then raise when he hit a K on the turn. At least thats what I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain was getting about 8:1 to call 2 bets on the flop. It's not out of the question that he called w/AK here. AA is another possibility. I think we need to 3-bet the turn here.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:10 PM

Taking the line you did is asking to have the river checked through and makes no more bets than simply three-betting the turn and betting the river.

In other words, you are adding a lot of risk for no more expectation.

So three-bet the damn turn.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:12 PM

I would also consider betting the flop instead of check-raising. It worked out fine here, but, betting increases your chance of getting more than 2 bets in on the flop. If your opponent has an overpair he's raising the flop like 100% of the time and then you can three-jar him, and hopefully trap the other dudes for some bets too.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:37 PM

i'm betting that turn so i CAN 3 bet.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:38 PM

I dont totally hate limping pre-flop here in some situtations. What kind of game is it? If it's very loose and somewhat aggressive Skylanski actually suggests limping up front with small pairs due to all the good check-raising situations that come up post flop (to protect your hand build the pot ect...) (Hold'em Poker for Ad. Pl. p.24-25) I have recently been winning some monster pots at Party & Pacific 2-4 trying out this strategy, but you MUST be reasonably certain of a multiway pot before going for it.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:45 PM

Interesting hand. The flop 3 bet is good. Turn is good, but just call the 4 straight river.