Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 07-14-2007, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Dealer question -- first to show wins pot?

Had a disagreement about this very type of thing last night. I hit the nut flush on the turn and put my only caller all-in, he calls and the river comes a blank. I flip my cards quickly and opponent goes to muck, but before they hit the pile I ask to see. Opponent says he doesnt have to show if he doesnt want to, myself and another player tell him he has to if he called. Dealer refuses to turn over the cards and I say I paid and want to see what he called with, dealer tells me I won the pot and dont need the info, so the guy next to me reaches over and flips the cards which show top pair with no kicker. Row ensues and we both get a warning.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:53 AM

Generally it's whoever is earliest position must show first when it's checked on the river. I don't like the rule, I think last aggressor should show first.

The line I prefer in these situations is "gotta show, or the dealer gets it." Someday two fools will be so stubborn, I'll get it.

Al
Old 07-14-2007, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Had a disagreement about this very type of thing last night. I hit the nut flush on the turn and put my only caller all-in, he calls and the river comes a blank. I flip my cards quickly and opponent goes to muck, but before they hit the pile I ask to see. Opponent says he doesnt have to show if he doesnt want to, myself and another player tell him he has to if he called. Dealer refuses to turn over the cards and I say I paid and want to see what he called with, dealer tells me I won the pot and dont need the info, so the guy next to me reaches over and flips the cards which show top pair with no kicker. Row ensues and we both get a warning.

[/ QUOTE ]

He called you. You won the pot. Move on. Next hand.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He called you. You won the pot. Move on. Next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. Take the pot & deal the next hand.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:09 AM

no kidding fraser. geez. Dumb abuse of IWTSTH is pretty annoying.

My favorite was a 3-way staredown in 4/8 limit with everyone ready to muck.
NOBODY would turn it over and it freaking took forever.

Dealer has to force them one at a time to turn their cards up:

Board is 54T98 or something.
First player sheepishly turns over 32 for busted straight draw.
Second player also turns over 32.
90 year old dude gleefully turns over his 63 for the winner!!
Old 07-14-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Opponent says he doesnt have to show if he doesnt want to, myself and another player tell him he has to if he called.

[/ QUOTE ]
First of all, you have to show if you bet, not called.

Second of all, you had the nuts, had the guy crushed, took him to felt and you want to rub it in by making him show his cards? When he doesn't have to?

If that was me, I would have started that row.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Generally it's whoever is earliest position must show first when it's checked on the river. I don't like the rule, I think last aggressor should show first.

[/ QUOTE ]
They were all-in on the turn so there was no real "check on the river". Personally, I think the person who moved in should have to show first.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They were all-in on the turn so there was no real "check on the river". Personally, I think the person who moved in should have to show first.

[/ QUOTE ]

And they do pretty much everywhere. The only reason for I Want To See That Hand is to discourage and ferret out collusion. Trying to use it for anything else is both angleshooting and rude. Just don't do it.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:46 PM

What the hell is the matter with people? Just table your damn hand. Jeez...people act like they're revealing state secrets sometimes.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What the hell is the matter with people? Just table your damn hand. Jeez...people act like they're revealing state secrets sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]
The voice of reason.

Oh, and by the way, I watch this show called High Stakes Poker on TV and I don't see this sort of thing happen amongst expert players playing for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Maybe we could start calling this sort of thing "Trailer Trash Poker". It might even make it on TV (since TV is a cesspool of imaginative programming).