Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 07-10-2007, 04:55 PM

Default 40-80 hand at Garden City: TP, meh kicker on a paired flop

In middle position, limp with ATo. 2 limpers behind. SB calls, BB checks.

Flop AQQ, rainbow. SB & BB check to me, I check because although Im sure any ace that would beat me would have raised in late position, I have no reason not to put anyone on QT, QJ, etc.

2 limpers check.

Turn is a 6, no flush possible. Checks to me, I bet. 2 limpers behind me fold, SB folds. BB cr's. BB is a very aggro player who is mos def prone to getting out of line. He seems very committed to outplaying everyone else at the table, plus he took down about 4 straight pots by just firing at the flop before this hand.

I....?
Old 07-10-2007, 05:04 PM

Default Re: 40-80 hand at Garden City: TP, meh kicker on a paired flop

I don;t like open limpin in MP with A10. Bump or dump. Call down as played.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:21 PM

You have completely underrepresented your hand so as played and based on your read you have to call down.

Raise preflop
Bet flop
Old 07-10-2007, 05:28 PM

Your opponents will have hands like JT, KT, or KJ too often not to bet the flop. Open limping w/ any hand in MP is usually never good and in this spot it is really bad. Call down against this opponent.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop AQQ, rainbow. SB & BB check to me, I check because although Im sure any ace that would beat me would have raised in late position, I have no reason not to put anyone on QT, QJ, etc.

2 limpers check.

Turn is a 6, no flush possible. Checks to me, I bet. 2 limpers behind me fold, SB folds. BB cr's. BB is a very aggro player who is mos def prone to getting out of line. He seems very committed to outplaying everyone else at the table, plus he took down about 4 straight pots by just firing at the flop before this hand.

I....?

[/ QUOTE ]

BB prob thinks you're takin a stab at the pot. instacall the raise.

also im not sure why you're so morbid over trips...maybe you're running bad? basic probability dictates that usually no one has it.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:47 PM

Many thanks as always for the feedback, as it happens I called the turn & his bet on the river (a T), and he mucked when he saw my ace.

I was concerned mostly with a better kicker on a slow-played ace or obv trips, and this was actually my first time taking a stab at 40-80 so I was probably looking to play it a bit (or much) too safe.

At the time I thought I had played the hand ok, perhaps conservatively, but I remember that after the hand a younger Asian TAG player seemed to question the wisdom of calling the turn raise. Not in an obnoxious way or anything, he just seemed suprised, and I decided to bounce it off yall and see if I was really that out of line sticking with my ace.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A nice example of why this game is friggin' incredible. The only better game is the 20-40 at garden city. Has anyone who has played at GC recently also played at commerce? I'm thinking of taking a trip and I'd like to know if the LA games are really as juicy as the No-Cal games.

As for the play of the hand, your description of the players suck. The crew that populates that game range from a few legitimately tough players to unbelievably exploitable donators. What you should do and why depends on who you are up against.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:43 PM

He doesn't have a hand and he's sure you don't either.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a younger Asian TAG player seemed to question the wisdom of calling the turn raise. Not in an obnoxious way or anything, he just seemed suprised,

[/ QUOTE ]Not to pile on, but he had no problem with your pre- and flop play, then questioned your turn call against an over aggro?
Old 07-10-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a younger Asian TAG player seemed to question the wisdom of calling the turn raise. Not in an obnoxious way or anything, he just seemed suprised,

[/ QUOTE ]Not to pile on, but he had no problem with your pre- and flop play, then questioned your turn call against an over aggro?

[/ QUOTE ]

confirmed, but it wasnt like we were analyzing the game play. he just raised his eyebrows and was like "you call that reraise with just an ace on that board?"

it was an offhand comment and made me wonder if (above and beyond being a bit passive) my play outright sucked on the hand.