Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP

Old 06-29-2007, 07:47 AM

Default Re: Pokerstars announces Asia-Pacific Poker Tour

[ QUOTE ]
What's the buy-in for these events?

[/ QUOTE ]

The buy in for Manila and Seoul will be $2,500usd. The buy in for the Sydney event will be $5,000usd aprox.

We will release dates/venues/buyins for other events in due course,

Sarne Lightman
Old 06-29-2007, 08:09 AM

I hope Stars gives at least $2K for airfare for these events or it won't be worth it to try and qualify.

Ryan
Old 06-29-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What's the buy-in for these events?

[/ QUOTE ]
no idea but for reference 10k usd=
76,167.26 Chinese yuan
1.22699 million Japanese yen
80,066.00 Macau Pataca's
or standard 500 bales of rice

[/ QUOTE ]

500 bale rice fight yo?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope Stars gives at least $2K for airfare for these events or it won't be worth it to try and qualify.

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless they give you cash just like the did for the WSOP this yr. But other than that, your right. I'm paying 3k to travel, to gambol at 2.5k????
Old 06-29-2007, 03:38 PM

I hope this expands the Asian market because I don't think they even spread regular cash games in the Philippines. Does anyone know of any games being spread in the Philippines?
Old 06-29-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They have to crack the Hong Kong / Macau / China TV thing to really make it work though. Will be good if this means we can finally get some Poker coverage on ESPN here in HK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Despite being headquartered in Hong Kong, I understand that the PokerStars.net APPT is primarily an Australian-run outfit.

The APPT, like all other Asia-based poker ventures, is running into political turf-guarding by government gambling monopolies across Asia.

As long as the Hong Kong Jockey Club (HKJC) has a 100% monopoly on land-based and televised gambling competitions in Hong Kong, the APPT may never air on any form of TV in Hong Kong.

The HKJC now holds all the Aces at the negotiation table because the likes of PokerStars/APPT, 888, World Poker Tour Enterprises, FullTilt, PartyPoker, etc. etc. etc. all want to be the preferred online poker partner of the HKJC.

What that means: the HKJC can demand as big a share of the rake from its preferred partner as it wants. What is that share? 50% is probably too small for the HKJC's taste. I would guess on the order of 70-75% would be HKJC's fair share, with the preferred partner getting 25-30% of the profit for doing all the dirty work (i.e. marketing, technology implementation, customer service, etc.)

Ditto with Mainland China (China Welfare Lottery Authority, China State General Administration for Sport, China Ministry of Finance, etc.), where the government again holds all the Aces and can demand a big chunk of the rake in exchange for a partnership/joint venture license.

Bottom line: I still believe that the largest online and televised poker company in the world 10 years from now to be controlled by the government of China simply because the government of China knows that it is the ONLY entity in the world that is capable of displacing every existing competitor by issuing a government decree.

I now expect the world's largest televised poker tournament in the world to take place in Shanghai instead of Macau, Hong Kong, London, Monte Carlo, or Las Vegas within 10 years. Why? Because the Chinese government wants to do business this way and the Chinese government is the only entity in the world that can get away with the "shotgun negotiation" style of doing business.

The Chinese government has already put the likes of Rupert Murdoch and Bill Gates in their place for not playing by China's rules, which are: 1. The Chinese government is ALWAYS correct, and 2. Everyone in the world, including Murdoch and Gates, exists at the pleasure of the Chinese government. One would expect anyone in the poker industry who dares not to play by China's rules to be crushed by the Chinese government.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:11 PM

I just made my Korean wife very happy when I sent her this article [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Sweet.