Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 06-07-2007, 04:31 PM

Default noisy drunks at table = screw up my action = ?

20-40 LHE game. i checkraise the turn, verbally announcing "raise" in my usual speaking voice, but the dealer and a player next to her dont hear me because an absolute drunken clown is shouting down the dude to my right in some argument about all time great quarterbacks or some similar trash.

dude next to dealer calls a string bet because he didnt hear me announce my raise, dealer didnt hear me either over baffoons jackassery, so she calls it a string bet.

i just went with the flow, apologized for not speaking up (i try to be obsequious at all times at the table unless i feel someone is angle shooting me or im being truly victimized by a dealer or players incompetence), and the action proceeds.

my question is: could i have (should i have) taken a stand here and brought over the floor?

drunky brewster realized he had f'd up the action pretty severely and apologized, and as it happens it saved me a bet because he had my 2pr beat with a bigger 2pr, so its by no means a sob story or even a beat (i cant see him laying down his 2pr although he was sure i had a set), im just curious how others would have dealt with this...
Old 06-07-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Re: noisy drunks at table = screw up my action = ?

I don't play higher than 15/30 (mostly since there aren't any games bigger around here at times that I can play) but in my games, I would handle it the same way you did. I do not want to appear like the table nit when there is an action player or two in the game. You are right though, results are unimportant to the question.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:58 PM

At least he was sober enuff to realize he screwed you. In hindsight I wouldn't lose sleep over it, afterall he did save you a bet. But from now on use 1 motion when betting or say raise with some sort of a hand motion where the dealer knows your intent.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:06 PM

jackassery, that's awesome!

I would have handled it exactly as you did. I try to always be as pleasant as absolutely possible in all situations at the table. Doesn't seem like the kind of table you want people getting upset and leaving from either..........
Old 06-07-2007, 05:36 PM

You did fine, and I would do the same as you given what happened -- there's almost no chance of the floor allowing your bet if the dealer calls it a string, as the dealer "was there"and presumably "saw what happened," lol.

Drunken idiots and inattentive dealers, just two of the many joys of playing live poker [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Just file it away as a cheap lesson, and next time, either bring all the chips out in one motion or keep your hand in the pot and make a loud verbal declaration of a raise.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:43 PM

Is there any reason you didn't just put all your chips in at one time so it would be clear you were raising? I always do this and have never had a problem, even if people don't hear me say raise.

Rob
Old 06-07-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any reason you didn't just put all your chips in at one time so it would be clear you were raising? I always do this and have never had a problem, even if people don't hear me say raise.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

to be perfectly honest i dont remember if i did or didnt. i may have been short a few chips and gone back for more, i simply dont remember.

that said, its ultimately my responsibility to reduce the potential for confusion of this sort, so im thinking the long term answer is to always have a fistful of chips handy in the future..
Old 06-07-2007, 07:06 PM

Played @ MGM with a group of drunks that managed to get cut off not once, but twice. That takes real work. But they were happy drunks and lousy at poker so CHEERS!

I would draw the line at threatening, abusive (particularly to dealers) inebriates. See Private Joker's Classic - French Guy @ Hollywood Park story. I've made it personal at a table only once - with a beady, red-eyed (stoned out of his tree) little ferret who was being both abusive and rascist, particularly to dealers. Fortunately that one has disappeared from Commerce.