Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Austin OOT\'ers: Need Help

Tomorrow night will be my first time in Austin. I've reviewed Citysearch, etc. to become familiar with the city, but I'm specifically looking for one of the better places to be on a Tuesday night.

My plan is twofold:

1. Eat at a good restaurant (something unique to Austin)
2. Find a good bar with great live music

The first one I'm sure I can do on my own, the second one probably changes nightly.

Any recommendations? I'm staying very close to downtown, but will also have a car.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Austin OOT\'ers: Need Help

You should probably specify a price range for the restaurant and any cuisine preferences.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:33 PM

Tuesday night is not the most happenin' time of the week, but you are lucky that you are in Austin.

Try walking around 4th, 5th, and 6th street downtown near congress.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should probably specify a price range for the restaurant and any cuisine preferences.

[/ QUOTE ]

Price: up to $50 per person (food + 1 drink)
Cuisine: Unique to Austin - I'm guessing BBQ

Rhett - This was my gameplan. I was hoping someone knew of a specific bar or maybe band that regularly has good live music on Tuesday nights.

I'm about 75% sure I'm coming down for SXSW next year, so I view this as a warmup, but one I want to do right.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:48 PM

I liked Austin Land and Cattle when I was there. Good steak house, and the ribeye was great. I typically hate ribeyes.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:05 AM

I think Austin is more of a mexican food town than BBQ. Don't drive all the way out to Driftwood just to go to the Saltlick for BBBQ. They are susposedly the best BBQ, but there is no music, and it is boring and a waste of time.

I think you really need to just walk around. You're likely to hear good music coming out of a lot of places, but it won't be anyone famous on a Tuesday night, and you're not going to find a schedule anywhere. I mean, we don't even know what music you like.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:12 AM

Taco Cabana is an excellent dinner. The outside isn't that pretentious but the food is top notch. For a bar I would recomend Trudy's it's kind of the hot spot these days with the intelligensia.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:13 AM

Here's my advice:

Take 5th Street west all the way past Mopac where it becomes Lake Austin Blvd. Keep going.

(a) if you want incredible Tex-Mex, look for Maudie's on the right (by Goodwill) and order enchiladas
OR
(b) if you want kinda lousy Tex-Mex but incredible views of the lake and, more importantly, lots of coeds and young professional hotties with tight little bodies and very little clothing, look for Hula Hut on the left and order whatever the hell you want

After dinner, drive back downtown and park on 4th Street near, I don't know, Guadalupe. Walk up and down 4th, 5th and 6th street till you find some live music you like. Antone's is on 5th and Colorado.

Wednesday morning: drive east on 6th street, go under I-35, keep going, look for Cisco's on the right. Order the migas.

You'll thank me later.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:17 AM

Forget about citysearch and check out the Chronicle Music Listings It is also a good source on where to eat. Since you didn't really give any specifics I'll point
you in the direction that I give all of my out of town guests. If you have specific questions fire away, also let me know what kind of music you like and I'll send you to right place

Live Music Clubs:
The Continental Club - great music, great atmosphere, one of my favorite places to hear a band.

The Saxon Pub strictly speaking, the best selection of bands 3 or 4 per night 7 days a week.

Antone's Home of the Blues in Austin, immortalized in the SRV song Down at Antone's. Worth visiting, but it's not really the same since it's namesake passed away last year.

Stubb's BBQ excellent place to see a band but please don't eat the BBQ there is much better many places around town.

Threadgill's Great stage outside in the beergarden. Actually a pretty good food as well. Try the Chicken Fried Steak.

Mean Eyed Cat no live music, but they do have jukebox with nothing on it but Johnny Cash. Excellent atmosphere, very cool laid back place with a great patio.

Shady Grove not really notable other than they have a summer concert series called Unplugged at the Grove every Thursday with some great bands. I believe this week is the Gourds, if you've never seen them do not miss it.

Again let me know what your looking for and I'll try to point you in the right direction but here are some of my faves:

Maudie's Tex Mex

Baby A's food is pretty good but the purple margaritas made with everclear are amazing.

The Green Mesquite BBQ

Uchi amazing sushi! The Chef was on the cover of Gourmet (i think, but it could have been Food & Wine) as one of the top 5 young chefs in America a couple of years ago. If you are a sushi aficionado you must go there.

Starlite upscale and delicious. I once sat next to Gwyneth Paltrow and the guy from ColdPlay during brunch.

Aquarelle terrific tradition french cuisine

Fonda San Miguel authentic mexican (as opposed to TexMex) try the Cochinita Pibil.

And last but not least, If I didn't mention The Salt Lick I'm sure El Diablo would instantly appear to flame me. It's delicious, a little bit out in the sticks but well worth the drive.

Many of these place are with in a fairly small area of downtown/south austin, so you won't spend much time in car.

Also try to check out this great band playing later in the week.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Taco Cabana is an excellent dinner.

[/ QUOTE ] Are you effing kidding me?