Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 06:31 AM

Default Re: Duke Lacrosse players granted 5th year of eligiblity

How much of Duke's decision to cancel the season was based on pressure from the NCAA?

I'd bet that the NCAA went to Duke with two options - cancel your season or we will. Good for them for correcting this mistake. These kids were punished enough from that girl's lies, it's good to see them get something back.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:08 AM

Thirty three people had their season cancelled for the possible actions of 3.

It seems like a no-brainer to me.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:51 AM

What are they going to do for the 3 kids who were charged, I wonder?
Old 06-01-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The NCAA is retarded for granting this, and Duke is a giant gaywad for even asking for it. DUKE is the one that suspended the whole team based on speculative claims from a crack whore. ugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed
Old 06-01-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The NCAA is retarded for granting this, and Duke is a giant gaywad for even asking for it. DUKE is the one that suspended the whole team based on speculative claims from a crack whore. ugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a long history of schools getting off easier if they punish themselves. When the NCAA has endorsed this many times in the past then they have to share the blame when a school tries it and is wrong.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How much of Duke's decision to cancel the season was based on pressure from the NCAA?

I'd bet that the NCAA went to Duke with two options - cancel your season or we will. Good for them for correcting this mistake. These kids were punished enough from that girl's lies, it's good to see them get something back.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just pure speculation, and if I'm one of the Duke kids, I hope to hell Duke lets the NCAA cancel it while they stand behind me.

Duke threw those kids under the bus, plain and simple. Those kids were vilified by a good percentage of the Duke faculty. When it slowly became evident that the DA was a retard, the prosecutor was tampering, and that the whore was FOS, those who vilified the kids tried to justify their slander by taking the "booze and sex is bad, mmmkay" stance. The whole thing was embarrassing.

Maybe this approach is fairest for the players, especially those not charged with anything. It still seems like Duke is getting off easy here.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just pure speculation, and if I'm one of the Duke kids, I hope to hell Duke lets the NCAA cancel it while they stand behind me.

Duke threw those kids under the bus, plain and simple. Those kids were vilified by a good percentage of the Duke faculty. When it slowly became evident that the DA was a retard, the prosecutor was tampering, and that the whore was FOS, those who vilified the kids tried to justify their slander by taking the "booze and sex is bad, mmmkay" stance. The whole thing was embarrassing.

Maybe this approach is fairest for the players, especially those not charged with anything. It still seems like Duke is getting off easy here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I am an alum and the smarmy self-righteous e-mails I kept getting from the Duke president were sickening. DA Nifong gets the majority of the blame but the Duke community really over-reacted. Everyone wanted to be on the politically correct side of things and no one dared raise any questions.

The families of the 3 kids are probably going to sue Duke before all is said and done.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:06 PM

How does this work if these guys graduated? Do they still have to take classes or can they get a job and play Duke Lacrosse?
Old 06-01-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does this work if these guys graduated? Do they still have to take classes or can they get a job and play Duke Lacrosse?

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC they have to take grad school classes.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:21 PM

If I were the NCAA, I would have granted the kids special permission to transfer to another school and play a fifth year without sitting out a year, but I wouldn't have let them play an extra year at Duke. I think it is unfair to reward Duke for canceling its own season, but it would be good to rectify the situation for the kids that got screwed.