Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 05-16-2007, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Jerry Falwell dies....

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was Jimmy Swaggart.

These guys are all a comely crop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim Baker
Tammy Fay Baker
Jimmy Swaggart
Ted Haggard
Jerry Falwell
Pat Robertson

and lesser known but qualifies as evil; Cardinal Bernard Law
Old 05-16-2007, 07:45 PM

I started to read the wikipedia article on JF and clicked on this thing called the PTL club. I guess it stands for something like The Praise The Lord Club, LOL! Now who would want to be a member of a club with that name?

It's short and a kind of funny read.

[ QUOTE ]
Ultimately, Bakker was indicted for directing millions of dollars of church funds for personal use. Much of the nation watched the court case to see the outcome of the 165 million dollar donations.[3] In the end the ruling was:

* PTL Victims to Receive $6.54 Each
* Lawyers take $2.5 million of $3.7 million settlement.

[/ QUOTE ]

The PTL Club

Goodbye, Falwell. Something tells me your journey is not going to be easy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Old 05-16-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I started to read the wikipedia article on JF and clicked on this thing called the PTL club. I guess it stands for something like The Praise The Lord Club, LOL! Now who would want to be a member of a club with that name?

It's short and a kind of funny read.

[ QUOTE ]
Ultimately, Bakker was indicted for directing millions of dollars of church funds for personal use. Much of the nation watched the court case to see the outcome of the 165 million dollar donations.[3] In the end the ruling was:

* PTL Victims to Receive $6.54 Each
* Lawyers take $2.5 million of $3.7 million settlement.

[/ QUOTE ]

The PTL Club

Goodbye, Falwell. Something tells me your journey is not going to be easy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know Bakker was a scum, but that waterpark was pretty sweet when I was a kid.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:22 PM

You know, I was as unperturbed as most by the news of JF's death.
But then I heard Larry Flynt's comments. (They apparently became friends some years after their court battles)
Old 05-16-2007, 11:32 PM

Just because these guys are stupid & wrong does not make them evil. They don't actually do anything - sort of like larger than life offline trolls. Very successful trolls.

If you can really have hatred for media figures then it is time to wake up to yourself.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I was thinking of starting a post on evil anyway.
Ann Coulter is meanspirited. But she has little power. She can rouse only little rabble. Her meanspirit is so transparent it may have a postive effect by the revealing the insanity she embodies.
A decending list ( a work in progress)
Evil
Hater
mean of spirit
Antagonist
Contrarian
Shallow simpleton

for examples of Antagonist on down please consult a few recent posts....on any forum

[/ QUOTE ]

So the people on your list are different categories of evil? This is a word I don't use very often. I'm kind of interested in hearing what people think constitutes evil.

Can evil people change or are they destined to always be evil?

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call Ann Coulter evil. Guess I would have to think of my definition. I just don't know if mean-spirited people are, in fact, evil. Yeah they're gross. They suck the fun right out of things. I think they're real downers and freaking menacing. Also, I can't stand that uncomfortable, smug chortle they get when they laugh at their own jokes. Ever notice that about mean-spirited people? It's awkward.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just because these guys are stupid & wrong does not make them evil. They don't actually do anything - sort of like larger than life offline trolls. Very successful trolls.

If you can really have hatred for media figures then it is time to wake up to yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point. As I was pondering my potential post on evil( that I never made, I just responded to this thread) My opening thought was that I was having a bad day and rather than reflect inward a look for the source I was projecting my discomfort on visible public figures with whom I disagree.

But to to hatred, I'm not sure I used the word hate. If I did, I shouldn't have. The more accurate word is outrage. I am outraged by their hate, ignorance, and by the intentional misleading of the simple.
When a religious leader preaches hate and ignorance I think they qualify as evil. IF it leads the followers to act with violence.
When a religious leader allows a pedophile to lead a flock I think they are evil.
There is some religious group that stands outside funerals with signs that "God Hates Faggs". These can be funerals of soldiers I think I recall. I think that 'pastor' might not reach my definition of evil. His ignorance and hate do not lead to violence, I don't think. But I would not mourn should he leave this earth. I should google him before I commit to this opinion.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Tammy Fay Baker

[/ QUOTE ]

Currently dying of cancer.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fallwell was a bit more than just a media figure. However, when someone uses their media power to influence others to promote open intolerance, bigotry and hatred of others, they're a worthless pieces of sh*t and the world is better off without them.

It's scary that this person had as much power as he did. Who knows what he'd have done with even more power. Good thing he was in a country where he couldn't ascend that high or hold absolute power. Imagine him dictating a country? Probably would've named himself a pope and started a crusade.

b