Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 08:41 AM

Default Re: Tipping the host

Thanks for the replies. We always bring our own food/drink. It's Lexington, KY, and the host cannot buy a pizza for the players. Some do, I'm sure, but it's illegal. He can't offer anything. We will sometimes pitch in on a pizza.

I guess we can offer and see if he accepts it. He does go to a lot of work.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's Lexington, KY, and the host cannot buy a pizza for the players. Some do, I'm sure, but it's illegal. He can't offer anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell the host to stop being such a nit and live on the "wild side" and buy you guys a damn pizza.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:55 PM

I've never once asked for a tip and I've hosted quite a few games in the past 5 months. I built a table, started inviting friends who invited their friends. We have a really good core of players now that regularly show up.

After about the fourth game I had, my wife asked me how much I had spent on everything. I got a little upset because I didn't care at the time, but she wanted me realize that not only was I gambling money but also putting money out to host the game every other week for snacks, ice, and such. It's always been a BYO whatever and most guys usually bring whatever they are drinking and occassionally bring additional bags of chips or pretzels, nothing too fancy.

My hospitality started becoming very appreciated. In the past few games, a couple of the guys will hand me $5 at the end of the night, I accept it but will tell them it goes towards the next game. I have slotted lockable box that I slip the money in and I will dip into it the night before our game to pay for the upcoming amenities. So far, no one has complained and the box has had more $$ lately to cover things from new decks of cards to more eatible snacks like hotdogs or pizza.

So I really don't consider the money given to me as a "tip" since it only covers the normal expenses for the game I host.

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Tell the host to stop being such a nit and live on the "wild side" and buy you guys a damn pizza.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not such a good idea when undercover cops sit in on games.

This game is every Friday and it usually has 36 to 40 (max) players. Providing food/drink might get very expensive. He already provides his house and four very nice tables, plus a fridge, chips, cards, fireplace [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], etc.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When in doubt....'Yes".

[/ QUOTE ]
crap, I knew I forgot something. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

lawl

Preflop(2nd) dropped me a 60 spot....which I gave to Toro a few hours later after I get AAKK playing PLO8 and the board comes AKx and well, you know the rest.....

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so typical. I cannot remember this hand for the life of me. We or maybe just me only remember the beats we take and not the ones we give.