Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy

Old 02-13-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Re: My Thoughts on Poker (long but good)

[ QUOTE ]
Strassa also posted something along these lines in HSNL. It's on the front page now.

[/ QUOTE ]
Strassa's post was very interesting but mine isn't really like it.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Strassa also posted something along these lines in HSNL. It's on the front page now.

[/ QUOTE ]
Strassa's post was very interesting but mine isn't really like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, self-indulgent poker rambling and all. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2007, 11:59 PM

Thanks for taking the time to post that Eagles. There is a lot of thought provoking material in there, especially when you talk about thinking about what you are trying to accomplish with your actions. I often find I get in a rut of acting on the fly and not thinking about what will happen on the next street. I am working hard on having a plan for the hands I want to play because I think that has a big impact on eliminating mistakes.

I'm sure this will be a thread that gets reread many times.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2007, 12:57 AM

This is interesting because I went through a very bizzare day in terms of poker not dealing with any of the actual play.

I have been in a semi downswing/longish break even streak and I know I haven't been playing 100% during this period. I have played 2 very good sessions where I would say I played my A minus game. The rest were in the C+ to B range.

This morning I had 2 hours to kill before class and the games looked very good so I played and had 1 hour of really good play and then got bored/annoyed and tilted off what ended up being 2k which was how much I won the previous night playing a really good session. I felt like all the work I had done to get my mind back on track and play well was lost because I got bored and tilty.

Now although I get mad often, which is something I really need to work on, I rarely tilt. I was really upset because I felt like I was throwing away money. I ended up chilling and watching movies all day until my night class because I was really bumed out. I focused so much last night to get back to the game I usually play and today I just let it slide again. Anyways I went to my night class paid no attention and just thought about my poker game and tried to think about everything that I've been doing wrong and decided I would come home, take some time to get dinner, chill for a bit and really get ready for a sesh.

Anyways I played for 2 hours or so until the tables were full of regs and played really well. I made one bad bluff the whole session which might only be bad because I"m being results oriented. When I hit the refresh at the end I figured I was probably up 1 or 2 BI's but before I hit it I decided that I was going to be happy with my session no matter what. I ended up being down a bit but instead of thinking about how my downswing/breakeven streak is getting deeper and longer I was happy that I put in a good longish sesh where my game was good.

This is long and drawn out but I think it's interesting how so much can change in a day. While the results of the two sessions were the same I was way happier with my play in the second due to my mindset through the session. Many of us still have a long way to go in their poker development and if you can A. play your best close to 100% of the time and B. accept results or bad play happened and move on right after your done playing you are going to be way better for it your poker results and more importantly in your mindset in life.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:00 AM

nice post. and yes, after you know how to play, tricking your mind into being absorbed in something that is esentailly tedios and and repetitive is the trick, and unless your mind just naturaly does it, it is always a work in progress.

it's the main reason I have learned all the different games and switch often. it's all just combating bordom.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:14 PM

Very nice post. I used to send people hands all the time, but i've realized that lately i havent been doing it as much. Expect a TON of hands on AIM in the next few days. Time to get good again!
Old 02-14-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when I’m playing SnGs my mind is something like this. Push, fold, call, fold, fold, fold, raise, check, push, push, fold and so on. In reality my mind should be going at a much slower rate while there are tons of slam dunk pushes and calls and folds there are tons of hands in between and when faced with any borderline decision if you just stopped for five seconds looked at the hand and focused your game would improve a lot. When playing a million tables people are under the impression they need to act as quickly as possible, however if you are incapable to stop and think in tough spots I seriously suggest you reduce the amount of tables you are playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is me as well. I am currently five tabling the 60's, and never have time to take more than 15 seconds in between decisions. I find myself making the same default decisions over and over when there is defiantly a more profitable option available.

I am going to take your advice and drop a couple of tables for a week and only add another table when I feel 100% comfortable doing so.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:42 PM

I normally just lurk here, but I thought I'd show my face to say thank you for the post.

If nothing else it helps to see that people playing higher stakes face the same type of problems so it's going to be very worthwhile to get a healthy grip on these kind of things before moving up.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:40 PM

I'm going to bump this because I have something to add.

I was looking at my stats and realized since I won the second chance I basically have broke even for the last 5 months or so. Now I consider myself to be a very good player so why am I breaking even over such a long period of time?

Well this is how I have played a lot of cash games, 2/4 and 3/6 and I am up a lot of money in them and this is where most of my profits are coming from. However most of these profits have been lost in the following three things. HU sngs, MTTS, and PLO. Now I do not consider myself to be a bad player at any of these. MTTS I have proven over a fairly large sample I am a good player and HU sngs I have not played that many of but I have a made a lot of money in HU cash and am probably +ev in them. PLO I am just learning but I still feel like I am probably decent at the game and am a marginal winner/ break even.

Now how could I lose so much in money these games when I am probably +ev or neutral ev in all of them. The answer has nothing to do with variance but it has a lot to do with my mindset when playing them. Frequently I'll be bored and I don't feel like starting up a session so I'll just open up some of these and donk around without really much care and end up losing. Basically I'm just gambling, like a gambler who goes to the casion with hopes of beating roulette but more often than not he comes home down money.

I explained this to AMT on AIM and I think it's a pretty good analogy so I'll use it again here.

In the video game GTA when you play you'll either do missions and try and beat the game or you'll donk around and start going around killing everyone. Now both of them are fun but going around killing everyone is often more fun. However the problem with doing this in poker is you are playing with real money and can end up losing a lot of money . While doing it in a video game has no negative result.

Now ultimately this comes down to me playing when I'm bored so I'll give everyone a last piece of advice.

Never ever play when you don't feel like playing
Old 02-16-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I hit the refresh at the end I figured I was probably up 1 or 2 BI's but before I hit it I decided that I was going to be happy with my session no matter what. I ended up being down a bit

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like me, hmm....I think I am only down one or two thousand from this horrible session lets check the cashier......o okay nevermind five thousand. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. [censored]!.