Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 09:51 PM

Default Re: My Thoughts on Poker (long but good)

Nice post. I'm trying to work on keeping focus as well and it gets hard after about an hour for me too.

Linear Algebra was one of my favorite classes, but the one for Math majors, not all those Management Students.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:53 PM

Very nice post. In the middle of reading it, your post inspired me to make my post about subtle mistakes I was thinking about.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice post. I'm trying to work on keeping focus as well and it gets hard after about an hour for me too.

Linear Algebra was one of my favorite classes, but the one for Math majors, not all those Management Students.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I hate it. Whenever I get careless I mess up really basic addition and subtraction with negative numbers row reducing is so tedious and boring. Good news is after this half of the course we do probability which is really easy and obviously I have a good intuitive understanding of.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:01 PM

I liked linear algebra. Differential Equations is where I started to have no fun. Math Physics is the one that pretty much killed any desire for me to go further in physics. Ridiculously hard class + crappy teacher who didn't really understand the subject matter that well. Not a good combo.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:02 PM

"I remember once discussing a hand with bigt and he asked me what I was trying to accomplish with my bet and I honestly could not answer him. This seems simple but it is a very good thing to think about when analyzing or playing hands."

That really hits home with what Pasterbator has taught me and what I've been trying to do with every hand of poker.

Excellent post.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:08 PM

Excellent advice and post. Thank you for taking the time to post this. I was talking about some of the same things earlier today with a friend. Its good to have a player like yourself resonate the same ideas within this post.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I hate it. Whenever I get careless I mess up really basic addition and subtraction with negative numbers row reducing is so tedious and boring. Good news is after this half of the course we do probability which is really easy and obviously I have a good intuitive understanding of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lower division Linear Algebra had a lot of computations, but upper division was mostly proofs, which I liked and was the reason I switched to Math.

I totally avoided probability and statistics. If I knew I'd be playing so much poker I'd probably not have done that.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:34 PM

Devin,
Jman posts
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post9119090
http://www.shipitholla.com/blogs/new_years_resolutions/

Also My hand reading post
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=7906648
BigT's hand reading post
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rt=all&vc=1
Old 02-13-2007, 10:38 PM

Strassa also posted something along these lines in HSNL. It's on the front page now.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know personally I cannot play cash for much longer than an hour before my mind starts to wander or I check my account to see how much I’m up or down and at this point I almost always quit all my tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, this means you dont play very much... unless you are constantly playing small one hour sessions every day. Maybe its a good thing if you find yourself tilting, getting bored and playing bad. For me, it sometimes takes an hour of cash before I even get into the zone, and start focusing and playing better. After an hour I usually have a good feel for how the table is playing, so quitting when I finally get the table dynamics down seems bad if my ultimate goal is to make money. I dont know just an observation.