Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2006, 12:23 AM

Default Running Absolute Poker while logged on as a Limited User

I spend 99%+ of my time online logged on as a limited user.

Earlier tonight I downloaded and installed Absolute Poker.

I did this logged on as the Administrator on my PC because I didn't think it would download and install properly in C:\Program Files\Absolute Poker unless I was logged on as the administrator.

Now I can sign in and play on Absolute while logged on as the administrator, but not as a limited user. When I try to start the software as a limited user, the window briefly appears and then vanishes.

I checked my firewall and it shows allowing permission for Absolute's MAINCLIENT.EXE and Absolute's BROWSER.EXE.

I seriously want to avoid dragging the folder, Absolute Poker, to the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\ area of my hard drive.

I've done that with another site's poker game client and it sucks because updates won't go through automatically. The update software always ONLY looks for xxxxx Poker in C:\Program Files\xxxxx Poker\. So when that client updates I have to switch user to Administrator and drag everything back to C\Program Files\xxxxx Poker\, do the update, then drag everything back to ....\Shared Documents\, switch back to Limited user and then get back online.

Any thoughts on what I can do to use Absolute as a Limited user with all their files in the normal location?
Old 10-14-2006, 12:33 AM

Default Re: Running Absolute Poker while logged on as a Limited User

Stay logged on as your limited user, but run the Poker Client as the admin.
Use the "Run As" command.
several ways to do this, the easiest being:
Right click the exe and select "Run As"
chose hte admin acct and off you go.

Hope this helps,
Cards
Old 10-14-2006, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stay logged on as your limited user, but run the Poker Client as the admin.
Use the "Run As" command.
several ways to do this, the easiest being:
Right click the exe and select "Run As"
chose hte admin acct and off you go.

Hope this helps,
Cards

[/ QUOTE ]

IT WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU
Old 10-14-2006, 01:20 AM

One thing I've noticed now that I've tried it is that if I click on a link in the poker client that requires a browser, it closes my browser, opened as Limited user, then opens it as the administrator.

So it makes me wonder if it keeps me noticeably less safe online than when I was only online as a Limited user.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:04 PM

Sounds to me you want to run the Absolute Poker client as yourself (not administrator). Simply right click on the Absolute Poker client folder, click properties, and go to the security tab.

Add your user with full control and you can now run the program as that user.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds to me you want to run the Absolute Poker client as yourself (not administrator). Simply right click on the Absolute Poker client folder, click properties, and go to the security tab.

Add your user with full control and you can now run the program as that user.

[/ QUOTE ]

This must be a feature of a version of Windows other than the Windows XP Home that I use.

When I right click on a folder and click on "Properties", there is a tab marked "Sharing" that states "To share this folder with other users of this computer only, drag it to the Shared Documents folder."

It is already there. The problem seems to be that Absolute's software won't allow it to be run except as the Administrator.

There is nowhere that I can find a "Security" tab, and I believe I have full access to it as a Limited user. It's just that Absolute's software won't allow it to be run except by the administrator.

The procedure that "Cards201" detailed above works, but I can see, using Windows Task Manager, that when I use that procedure that 2 processes are running under the Administrator. In my very limited computer knowledge, I assume that means that my computer is connected online, at least partly, as the Administrator. I had hoped to avoid that particular security risk by normally going online logged on only as a Limited user. So it seem that is impossible when running the Absolute Poker client.

Yes, I'm only logged on as a Limited User, but running Absolute's client as an Administrator, I would guess, means that my computer is just as vulnerable as if I was logged on as the Administrator and online.

True or not true?

This may seem to be the computer security equivalent of being a poker nit, but I don't see any reason that Absolute Poker needs to require the administrator to run it's client when that's not true of the several other poker clients that I've run as a Limited user.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:54 AM

Yes, that security tab is a WinXP Professional's built in File Security Manager.
If you're running Windows XP Home, you will have to get a 3rd party security manager like for example: Ungsoft's File Security Manager or run the command line tool cacls to modify access control lists.