Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Quad A
#8 Run DMC - Run DMC 32 28.83%
#1 Wu Tang Clan- 36 Chambers 79 71.17%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2006, 07:12 PM

Default [GOLF] Do you always take \"the walk of shame\"?

This has never really been an issue before this year, but since I've joined an associate club and established a handicap, I'll ask this question now.

Non-tournament round at a pretty crowded course, you've arrived where you think your last shot came to rest, and there's no ball in sight. You don't take an extraordinary amount of time to search (say 1-2 minutes, certainly less than the 5 minutes allowed) but the next group is approaching or waiting.

What do you do?
Old 08-25-2006, 07:17 PM

Default Re: [GOLF] Do you always take \"the walk of shame\"?

It is wrong, but in non-tournament play, my friends and I will typically take a drop without penalty from the spot the ball 'should be'.

Our rational being that if we where on tour, either a spotter or spectator would have located the ball for us prior to us arriving at the site.

If OB and under the same circumstances, we'll treat it as a lateral and drop with a one stroke penalty.

Side note: Which club did you join? I joined the SJ Muni e-club this year when it was created, but they haven't had any tournaments yet. I'm on the last page with a ~13 if that's the one...
Old 08-25-2006, 07:22 PM

In order to keep my handicap close to accurate, I will drop and add a stroke to my score. A non-tournament round at a public course is no place to be walking back to the tee box. In fact you're likely to piss a lot of people off. Unless you're in a cart, and can get back and forth relatively quickly just take the small penalty.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:24 PM

it's penalty enough losing a ball
Old 08-25-2006, 07:25 PM

I play golf to have fun with friends, so I would never do the walk of shame unless my original spot is near where the cart girl is currently parked. Normally we play that if your ball is in a bad location (tall weeds, the woods) then you drop a new one and take a one stroke penalty. However if you lose a ball that is just in the first cut of rough or whatever and its just one of those freak things where you cant find it, we allow a free drop in the area.

If I hit a shot and know its going to be hard to find, I might play another shot from the original spot.

[ QUOTE ]
In order to keep my handicap close to accurate, I will drop and add a stroke to my score. A non-tournament round at a public course is no place to be walking back to the tee box. In fact you're likely to piss a lot of people off. Unless you're in a cart, and can get back and forth relatively quickly just take the small penalty.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys realize that this should be a stroke and distance penalty, so if you are simulating playing by the rules it should be a drop with a two stroke penalty.

The rub is that with handicap adjustments this predicament will likely not affect your handicap anyway.

[ QUOTE ]

Side note: Which club did you join? I joined the SJ Muni e-club this year when it was created, but they haven't had any tournaments yet. I'm on the last page with a ~13 if that's the one...

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 08-25-2006, 07:27 PM

I usually drop and take the penalty. Of course, this is probably why when I tell people I hit in the 120's to 130's they laugh and say how much I must suck and then when I play with them, hold my own.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet, didn't realize they had opened one. Last time I played there the greens where still rock hard. I'm guessing the course has matured a bit since then though...
Old 08-25-2006, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You guys realize that this should be a stroke and distance penalty, so if you are simulating playing by the rules it should be a drop with a two stroke penalty.

The rub is that with handicap adjustments this predicament will likely not affect your handicap anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I do the drop + 1. Good point on the two strokes...I should have included that as an option.

Probably not worthy of another poll, but I don't ever plan on playing in a tournament, and consequently don't use ESC, either.

Maybe I'm just a cheater. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]