Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2006, 01:58 PM

Default How to get a penalty

The other day at the WSOP (can't remeber which event - may have been a mega satellite) I saw this unfold at a nearby table (I had to get details from the dealer).

Apparently when two players were at the river heads up, Player 1 makes a bet. Player 2 says something along the lines of "very nice" and flips up his cards. Player one asks "did you call?" Player 2 says "No I Didn't". Player 1 tosses his cards in face down and dealer brings in all the cards (believeing that Player had folded) and pushes the pot to Player 1. Player two now protests and demands the pot. he says he had not folded and that he tabled his hand. (when he said he didn't call he meant he didn't call yet). Player 2 admits that he was trying to trick Player 1.

Floor is called. Floor completely misses the exposed cards issue and simply rules that Player 2's hand was dead because the dealer believed he was folding and brought the cards in to the muck.

Player 2 is irrate -- he is sure this is the worst ruling ever made in the history of poker. he demands a second opinion and for some unknown reason a second floor person comes over and this floor person also misses the exposed cards issue and simply rules the hand was folded just as the first floor person.

While this argument is going on the dealer is pushed to a break, but for some stupid reason he stands around watching this. Now Player 2 is not content with the rulings he has gotten and DEMANDS to see someone higher in authority.

Well they bring an assisstat over (while they are waiting the player is asking the dealer to recreate the hand so that he can be certain the size of the pot, because he is sure that once the Asst. TD gets there he will be given the pot.

Assistant TD comes over hears the story and syas let me get this straight. "when you flipped over your cards you had not yet acted?" Player 2 -- "Right". TD -- "Ok then you get a 10 minute penalty for exposing your cards. And you hand is dead because you failed to protect it."

So this angle shooter argued his way to a second appeal and got the worst of it.

BTW this ATD was the only one I saw make a decisio believe was correct during the entire WSOP.ortunately he was still standing around after making that ruling when i got into it with a player over the cell phone rule.

Player has his cell phone open in between hands (this is not allowed and is pushing buttons).rying to be nice I remind him that he can't be on the phone (if I start to deal his hand will be dead) Jackass looks at me while pushing buttons on his phone and says I'm not using it (like I'm going to believe him over my own eyes). So I start to deal and when i finis grab his cards and start my muck pile. "What are you doing?" Player next to him tosses in cards but before I get them, he sweeps them back to the player. "Floor!" This ATD didn't take any crap from this guy and the hand was dead. I've been somewhat lenient to players who are in the process of hanging up their phones as I start to deal, but this guy pissed me off because instead of simply hanging up the phone he spoke back to me like I was stupid. I also was a little tciked already because at a previous tabl had a player in seat 9 take a beat stand up and fling his cards of fthe table near the player in seat 3. I called the floor over for this and the floor looked at me and said "you called me over for that?" then he made some dumb joke about seat three being hit by the cards" -- personally i wasn't looking for the player to get a penalty, but a stren warning would have been appropriate.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:09 PM

Default Re: How to get a penalty

[ QUOTE ]
I called the floor over for this and the floor looked at me and said "you called me over for that?" then he made some dumb joke about seat three being hit by the cards" -- personally i wasn't looking for the player to get a penalty, but a stren warning would have been appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, throwing cards in such a way that they go off the table should always get a penalty. Whenever a palyer throws the cards and hit someone they say (usually honestly) "I didn't mean to hit him" ro "I didn't mean to throw the cards on the floor" people get hit by cards when players throw them without considering where they might land.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I called the floor over for this and the floor looked at me and said "you called me over for that?" then he made some dumb joke about seat three being hit by the cards" -- personally i wasn't looking for the player to get a penalty, but a stren warning would have been appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, throwing cards in such a way that they go off the table should always get a penalty. Whenever a palyer throws the cards and hit someone they say (usually honestly) "I didn't mean to hit him" ro "I didn't mean to throw the cards on the floor" people get hit by cards when players throw them without considering where they might land.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying your wrong about that, but I am a lot more forgiving about isolated flashes that aren't directed at anyone in particular. I ahte tosee a player get a penalty in this circumstance.f he had thrown them at another player or me, or was repeatedly flinging the cards I might be more inclined to want to see a penalty.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a lot more forgiving about isolated flashes that aren't directed at anyone in particular. I ahte tosee a player get a penalty in this circumstance.f he had thrown them at another player or me, or was repeatedly flinging the cards I might be more inclined to want to see a penalty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why the floor should have given the player a warning.

As we saw in your cellphone example, players don't take dealers seriously, but they listen to floormen.