Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2006, 09:02 PM

Default Drunk at the Wynn Friday Night- Did I make a string bet??

O.K. so I finally made a trip to Vegas after almost a year of not being there. Trip report will come soon, but I did have this question.

Playing drunken 1-3NL on Fri Night/Sat morning, I get Aces on the big blind. One player limps UTG, CO raises to like 15. I have about $400. I take a stack with my left hand and move it to where the "bet line" would be(Wynn tables don't have an actual line), hold the chips in my left hand, and at about 4 chips at a time place them down with my right hand, picking them out from my left. Make it roughly $36 total.

Immediately a player begins to piss and moan. Thomas, the dealer, says it was not a string bet because I never went back to my stack. Poor Thomas, it is only his second day. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Floor comes over, says Thomas is correct. The other 2 players fold. I flip over my aces. One guy says "well he saved you money, shut up."

About 3 guys piss and moan for another 30 minutes saying I made a string bet. I did not feel like arguing the point as I felt like I would end up fighting these guys if it came to it, and I didn't want to walk back to Circus Circus alone(where is was staying) with people mad at me.

So was it a string bet? I don't think it was, but someone chime in.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Drunk at the Wynn Friday Night- Did I make a string bet??

Were both hands "over the line" (side by side) when you bet?

Or did you have to reach back to take the chips out of the other hand?

If the former, the move forward with your left hand probably constituted the bet.

Sounds like floor was on top of it, though.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:52 PM

from Roberts Rules..

7. At non-tournament play, a player who says "raise" is allowed to continue putting chips into the pot with more than one move; the wager is assumed complete when the player's hands come to rest outside the pot area. (This rule is used because no-limit play may require a large number of chips be put into the pot.) In tournament play, the TDA rules require that the player either use a verbal statement giving the amount of the raise or put the chips into the pot in a single motion, to avoid making a string-bet.

So, No.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:34 PM

In rooms where traditional NL rules apply you can even go back to your stack for more chips. SOme palces have decided to use limit bettting rules for NL. SOme palces have the NL rules "on the books" but don't employ anyone that is familiar with those rules.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:50 PM

Blood Alcohol of 3.14159% ??? ie Pi Eyed?

Didn't say you said "raise".
First 4 chips (I assume $3 chips, $1 chips makes it a bit more comical) plus your blind makes $15...calling the original raise.
Then you reach over and grab another 4 chips from your left hand. Put them out with your right hand. Reach over and grab another 4 chips from your left hand and add them to your bet with your right hand.
8 chips left in your hand, but you figure that that's enough. Pull both hands back and return the 8 orphans to their bretheren.

Close?
Old 07-11-2006, 10:54 PM

I've always favored the "one motion" rule. I've seen guys take enough chips to raise in their hand, drop down enough to call, then eyeball their opponent, then decide to raise. Shouldn't be allowed just because he didn't go back to his stack.

Did you bet all the chips in your left hand?
Old 07-12-2006, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Were both hands "over the line" (side by side) when you bet?

Or did you have to reach back to take the chips out of the other hand?

If the former, the move forward with your left hand probably constituted the bet.

Sounds like floor was on top of it, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both hands were over the "line." Also, I never paused and looked up. All chips in my hand were bet as well, except for possibly one or two.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:41 AM

I also don't distinctly remember whether I said "raise" or not, but I usually make a point to say it to avoid situations like this one and others.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing drunken 1-3NL on Fri Night/Sat morning, I get Aces on the big blind. One player limps UTG, CO raises to like 15. I have about $400. I take a stack with my left hand and move it to where the "bet line" would be(Wynn tables don't have an actual line), hold the chips in my left hand, and at about 4 chips at a time place them down with my right hand, picking them out from my left. Make it roughly $36 total.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since this was drunken poker (AWESOME btw), I'd say that using 2 hands to "cut out your chips" is basically the same as cutting them out with one hand. Except that in your drunken condition, you needed a 2nd hand. Not a string raise IMO...

BTW, are they still using those $3 chips for this game?
Old 07-12-2006, 08:11 PM

Yes, they are still using $3 chips. It was very confusing for me, as all 1-3NL games in L.A.(and Vegas) are played with $5 chips. Each stack of 20 is 60 and not 100 and I had to recount a lot.