Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2006, 10:36 PM

Default Is there ever a reason to over-bet?

This is a pretty simple question that I would love to get some feedback from people on. I tried searching with no luck.

Is it ever correct or smart to make an overbet? I have always confined myself to making bets (not including raises/reraises) of no bigger than the pot. However, I sometimes encounter some confusing overbets by players that I generally always considered to be weak. I usually take the line that in order to call or raise an overbet I need to be MORE CERTAIN that I have the best hand for their to be value in the call than if I was just calling a pot-sized bet. Does making an over-bet have any real value for a good player? Like I mentioned, I always see it done by bad players or when a player is scared on draw heavy board.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Is there ever a reason to over-bet?

I will make an overbet if I have the nuts to the suspected 2nd nuts. If I have JT on a 98762 rainbow board I will overbet knowing a ten will probably call. I smallish bet might get a call from two pair or a five, but the risk/reward ratio makes it worth it.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:27 AM

i spot where i love to overbet is when i flop a monster draw, like if i have 67s on the button and the flop comes 5s8s7c. i lead like crazy here. another spot is where i flop the underfull. lets say i have 44 and the flop comes AA4. in this situation ill overbet the pot hard.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:51 AM

When you're shortstacked, have just a little more than what is in the pot on the flop, and have a hand that might be best now but is very vulnerable if you dick around, like if some guy limps from middle position and you are heads up with him from the BB with 49o and flop comes J4J. Unless I know him to be habitually aggressive after someone checks to him, I just go all in.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:11 AM

If you're afraid to let someone draw because you don't think you'll be able to fold if they hit.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:47 PM

Hess - I agree that this could be a good time to make a large overbet. Yet, it happens very little.

An underfull could be a good time to make an overbet in a large pot where you suspect someone has tripped up also. However, what do you guys do when you face an overbet on an uncoordinated board (K93) and you have TPGK. I would generally call a pot sized bet here if I have position and suspect a continuation bet. However, I am dumping a hand like KQ if the bet is twice the size of the pot because I find a lot less value in calling a 50 dollar bet into a 25 dollar pot. Would you guys fold a hand like KQ in this situation assuming a similar stack size as the overbetter.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're afraid to let someone draw because you don't think you'll be able to fold if they hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you just playing scared poker then?
Old 07-02-2006, 12:54 PM

Theres a lot of good reasons to overbet, most of which have been covered by other posters in this post. One point you (OP) mentioned in your OP was that you more often than not take it to mean weak when you encounter an overbet......great reason TO overbet when you are strong AGAINST THE RIGHT OPPONENT , especially if you have a LAG table image.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:42 PM

I overbet because people dont reallly think about what they can beat. Their line of thinkings is "I have trips- insta-call"
Old 07-02-2006, 02:03 PM

I don't know if anyone's said it but

"If they'll call."